Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickbones14

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Found this recipe in a book I bought and just had a question on one of the ingredients.
Yippee IPA

5lbs light malt ex
4lbs amber malt ex
1lb crystal malt grain**
Cascade hops
Gypsum
Irish moss
American ale yeast

**what do you recommend for the crystal malt grain? 60L? 40L?

First brew that's not from a kit, just want to make sure it comes out good.

Thanks guys!

A pound of crystal malt is a bit much. When I brew pb/pm biab,I never use more than 1/2lb crystal. no more than 40L in my opinion. On the other hand,if you're going to use some 8-10 ounces of flavor/dry hops,than it might make the malt stand up to the hops better.:mug:

I'm wondering if gypsum should be added without knowledge of what is in the water you will brew with. Does the recipe specify RO or distilled water?

It doesn't specify. I found the recipe in The Homebrewers Recipe Guide by Patrick Higgins. Pretty good extract recipe collection. Love ipa and this was the first one I found. 40L we think is best? Can a mix the crystal grain?

You could mix them to tweak the color & sweetness. but I've found 40L is ok for color & a bit of darker flavor when using a ton of hops.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help. It calls for 1.5oz cascade in the boil, 2oz at the end and 1oz dry hop on the transfer

Back