Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
I was given a really big bag of Irish moss a year ago (I think I have about a pound of it).

I never used it… and stupidly I never bothered to put it in a refrigerator. It's been sitting in a a bag, in a box, in my basement.

Is it still good to use or would it be like pointlessly throwing dead-dry brown grass into my beer?

I would still use it. I used an old bag on a batch of IPA recently. Still turned out pretty clear. If you have an idea of what it smells like fresh, smell it again. Does it smell like Irish moss? That is what I did, and it sure smelled like Irish moss.

I seem to remember reading that the constituents of Irish moss that are important to brewing are at such a high concentration that it would take decades for it to stop being effective. Only thing to worry about is off aromas. You can check for that by smelling it.

That's good news, thanks guys! I'll try to remember to use some the next time I brew.

Back