Math Help Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
Ok all you people who didn't sleep through math, I need some help.

I want the formula for figuring the METRIC height/depth required in a cylinder with a given diameter to hold particular ounces of water.

For example, how do I calculate how many milimeters of depth I need in a cylinder that is .5 meters across, to hold 64 ounces of fluid?

I want to be able to use a metric ruler as a volume guage for my mash tun. Basically, I want 10 gallons of water so that means I need to fill the tank to such and such a height.

Thanks in advance.

So the best way to figure this out is to remeber that 1 ml = 1 gram = 1 cubic centimeter and 1 oz = 29.57 ml (from my calculator). First 64 oz. = 1892 ml or 1892 cubic centimeters. So the volume of the cylinder is equal to 1892 cubic centimeters and also equal to pi*radius^2 *height which is the equation for volume of a cylander. So going through the algebra steps 1892/pi * radius^2 should equal the required height (where radius is half of the distance across or 25 cm). I get .96 centimeters high so to get 64 oz. in your pot you will want to fill it up about 1 centimeter.

This may be simplistic but why can't you take 10 gals of water, pour it into the mash tun and measure the height? Are you going to build the tun and want to know how high to make it?

Here is the general formula.

Height = (4*Volume)/(Pi*Diameter^2)

You have to convert your volume to cubic mililimeters and your diameter to millimeters before you start.

So for 10 gal and a .5 meter diameter

(4*37854118cmm)/(3.14*500mm^2) = 192mm

Someone might want to double check my numbers. Seems off, but I checked over and over again. Maybe I just can't visualize this. Or I made a stupid mistake.:rolleyes:

Salizar said:
So the best way to figure this out is to remeber that 1 ml = 1 gram = 1 cubic centimeter and 1 oz = 29.57 ml (from my calculator). First 64 oz. = 1892 ml or 1892 cubic centimeters. So the volume of the cylinder is equal to 1892 cubic centimeters and also equal to pi*radius^2 *height which is the equation for volume of a cylander. So going through the algebra steps 1892/pi * radius^2 should equal the required height (where radius is half of the distance across or 25 cm). I get .96 centimeters high so to get 64 oz. in your pot you will want to fill it up about 1 centimeter.

You sure your math is right? 1 centimeter = about .4 inches . . .seems awefully shallow

I knew there was a reason I failed algebra twice . . . I miss read the formula

I want to be able to use a metric ruler as a volume guage for my mash tun. Basically, I want 10 gallons of water so that means I need to fill the tank to such and such a height
Why not just dump a half gallon in at a time and mark where it reaches until you get to what ever volume you think you'll need?

The youth director at the church is a math wiz and so I asked her about this. She did her magic and made me a spreadsheet. So, I now have a really cool Excel spreadsheet that figures this out. It is set up so you enter the desired volume in US ounces, the cylinder's radius in either cm or mm (metric is easier to use, even tenths and all) and it will tell you the depth you need to obtain your volume.

:ban: :ban: :ban:

This means that I can use a metric ruler as a gauge for brewing volumns. Say I have a known amount of liquid in my HLT and want 12 quarts into my mash tun. By using a metric ruler I can know what has been transferred.

Now, how do I post the calculator so others can share it?

Back