Nob - Need ideas to convert a weak wheat ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodstone

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been brewing forever and made what should have been a routine wheat ale that is unfortunately weak in malt and hop flavor, bitterness, etc. Not sure what I did but having a buddy over and drinking all afternoon had something to do with it.

It is currently on tap but I want to toss it all back in a carboy and convert it to a lambic/wild brew - I've been lurking here and interested in them for a while now. I was thinking of boiling up a pound of amber DME and tossing it in the wheat with some lambic/wild yeast.

I have NO experience with lambics/wilds and looking for some direction (me=nob). I like sour browns and want to trying to push it in that direction.

Any thoughts on the DME? Recomendations on the yeast?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Of note, this is what I used from leftovers...

5# german wheat malt grain (BIAB 152* 60m with mash out to 170*)
2.5# dry wheat extract
1oz Mt. Hood (60m)
1oz Halltauer (flame out)
Safebrew WB-06 (never used this before and maybe its part of my problem)
Who needs OG, hydrometers suck
Fermented quick and with no problems

might have problems with the BU if you use lacto to get your sour... not really sure about pedio.

also the idea of taking a finished beer and refermenting it seems weird (just haven't seen/done it)... why not just blend it? you could blend a small sour mash, do a quick boil, ferment it, toss it in and voila - quick sour, with added body.

or just dump lactic acid in it to "sour" it... won't be as complex obviously. or just blend it with a bigger beer.

Latest posts

Back