How much yeast remains in my secondary fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeLevay

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently fermenting my first fruit beer recipe. I plan on adding blueberry puree to a secondary fermenter. This will be the first time I've used a secondary fermenter and have a few questions about it.

I plan on racking to my secondary on top of the blueberry puree after 2.5-3 weeks in the primary. How much yeast will remain in my beer? Will enough remain to bottle carbonate? What exactly am I leaving in the primary in that sediment?

Thanks! You've all been really helpful in the past.

So long as you don't cold crash the beer, you'll have plenty of yeast in the secondary, and then in the bottle.

There will be plenty of yeast in suspension in the beer to work on the fruit and carbonate the beer.

What is in the Primary? Trub; All the break material that got transferred with the wort from the kettle, hop material that got transferred, and dead yeast. And a whole lot of healthy yeast that have fermented the beer and finished working.

You should not transfer from the Primary too quickly. The yeast that has settled is still helping to clean up the beer, reducing diecetyl, and acetaldehyde (bad spelling). These things will eventually clear in the secondary if racked early, but will take longer due to the lower amonut of yeast present.

Back