Quick Weihenstephan Weizen temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
Greetings,

My first Hefe, brewed last June with this yeast had quite a lot of banana flavors. It was the middle of the summer, with a bucket and bottles of ice I kept the temp at the high end of the strain, around 70 degrees.

I have a second batch fermenting now, and have kept the temp on the lower side - 60-64 degrees - for a week. Airlock activity has been steady but not vigorous enough to require a blow-off tube. I am now a bit concerned that it will not finish as completely as I would like it to.

I have not taken a gravity reading yet since the original (1.060).

Should I increase the temperature for a few days to encourage a bit more activity?

Thanks!

I would let it warm up to finish, you will not get any esters as it sounds most of the fermentation is complete.

I normally use WLP380 on my Weissbiers and ferment on cold side (62). More of the spiciness and clove with little banana. I only notice the banana when beer warms up. A couple of batches ago I split it between WLP380 and 3068, fermented at 62 and did not care for the 3068 at this temp. It had very little flavor, no clove, banana, very bland. I will try this yeast again but bump the temps up around 66 and see if this brings out more flavor while not letting the banana overpower.

i fermented a dunkelweizen cool, around 66F and I got full attenuation. 64F might be a bit low tho.

i got ton of spicy clove and no banana. so, if that's what you're going for.

I like 62 for the WLP300, but that's with a ferulic acid rest to promote the clove ester. WLP380 has given me a well balanced beer at 65.

Thanks all for the great input, much to consider. Since I did not find the banana flavors too off-putting, and do not want it to end up bland (as Enid mentioned) I think I will bring it up to around 70 for a few days.

Latest posts

Back