somebody please help a NitWit out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcwilcr

Reaction score
So I'm working on a recipe for my first attempt at a Belgian witbier that I am hoping to brew this weekend in honor of national homebrew day and wanted to get some feedback on the recipe I am putting together.

Fermentables:
4.5 lb - Wheat DME
1 lb - Wheat malt
.4 lb - flaked oats
1 lb Candi Sugar

Hops:
1.5 oz. Saaz @ 60 min
0.5 oz. Saaz @ 10 min

Spices: (all @ 5 min)
Zest from 2 Seville orange (hopefully fresh)
0.5 oz fresh indian coriander crushed

Wyeast Forbidden Fruit #3463

What are your thoughts? gentle and harsh alike!

If you are using clear candi, save your money and use table sugar. There is functionally no difference. Forbidden fruit is actually a BDSA yeast originally used by Hoegaarden but not in their famous witbier. If you want it true to style, use a witbier yeast. If you really don't care, you'll get excellent results from FF.

Smagee:
My house is pretty stable this time of year so I plan on just letting it go between 68-72 deg. if the temp gets up, I can always do a swamp cooler.

El_Exorcisto:
I was planning on using clear candi sugar... I have always been afraid of off flavors using table sugar, not from any experience of my own but I remember reading it somewhere. is this not a concern? if it is the same I will certainly be ok with table sugar.

as far as yeast, I was thinking either the FF or WLP400 but I'm not sure my LHBS will have the white labs in stock but I guarantee they will have all the Wyeast strains (acutely, pitchable cultures from the local university). I've never used either so do you think I will get better results from the WLP400?

Back