Newbie Help - URGENT!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamLaw

Reaction score
Hi all-

How long should I expect perry (probably same as cider) to actively ferment for? I just tried to make my first perry (out of necessity - I own a pear tree) and I'm very worried about it. It only actively fermented for three days, and I kind of expected it to be a couple of weeks! Now its not generating any gas at all. Does three days seem right? I am a little fuzzy on things like malolactic fermentation, and I'm frankly afraid to open it up. Is there any reason I shouldn't rack it and check the gravity?

Details -
Started with ~70 lb pears to get 5 gallons fresh pressed pear juice. Added 5 campden tablets, let stand 48 h. Added 3 lb sugar dissolved in 1 qt water to get an O.G. of 1070, 5 tsp yeast nutrient and 1 package of Red Star yeast. Fermentation started within 24 h and was really cranking by 48. Three days later it stopped dead, and what the heck should I do??!!

Thanks
Adam

Take a FG. Take another tomorrow. If they are the same, you're done. Do not be surprised if the FG is around 1005 or lower. Ciders & perries ferment very fast and completely.

How did you keep the elk from eating your pears?

Thanks David -

As to elk - Not much of a problem in suburban Arlington MA!

Back