Oxygen regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadig39

Reaction score
I have a batch of mead that is fermenting very slowly, and I think oxygenating my help. What are the preferred methods. I bought a small disposable oxy tank at the hardware store and falsely assumed my propane regulator would fit. The only regulator for the oxy that I saw was with a kit that I really dont need. I any advice?

You can buy the kits from many brewstores online. I think I bought mine from midwest.

You can buy the kits from many brewstores online. I think I bought mine from midwest.

+1
This uses a reverse threaded regulator that fits on oxygen bottles. Unfortunately it is a bit pricey. I looked into by the regulator individually from a parts supplier, but couldn't find anything.

how long as this been fermenting? you can't just add oxygen willy-nilly.

if its been going for more than a few days, adding O2 will just oxidize the mead. you have to oxygenate before fermentation really kicks off...while the yeast colony is still growing (which is when they consume oxygen).

I am 4 weeks in with and O.G of 1.100 and currently around 1.030. Airlock activity is slowing down. I pitched wyeast liquid champagne to start with and added re-hydrated red star Pasteur champagne at 3 weeks. I am still a noob to brewing and this is only my second mead. I sure now that i should have used a starter. Is it to late for that?

Your mead may be sticking for any of a number of reasons. Try reading hightest's FAQ on re-starting a stuck mead. That will give you some clues as to what may have happened to your batch earlier on, and whether or not you want to try to change anything now. At this late a stage in fermentation (2/3 of the sugars have already been consumed and you're up approaching 9.5% ABV), it may not re-start no matter what you try. So, do you like sweet meads? ;)

Back