Split Mash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldilocks

Reaction score
First off, want to thank everyone for all their help. Even though I never asked, I have learned much from this forum.

I have a question regarding a split mash. If my mash tun is too small for a larger beer, can the mash be split into two mashes? I understand the importance of the need of base malt with some specialty malts, but I am assuming two mashes for one beer is ok.

Assuming it is ok, would there be any benefit of different mash temps to achieve the characteristics of each temperature? Could I mash one at a lower temperature for more fermentables and mash one higher to achieve more body? For example, if I mash one at 150F and one at 154F, is there any noticeable difference than mashing both at 152F? My intent was to do a mash of only 2 row at a lower temperature and do a mash of specialty and 2 row at a higher temperature.

Please tell me I'm not crazy!!:confused:

Two mashes would be fine, except it's going to add an extra couple hours to your brew day between a 60 min mash and 2 potential sparges (assuming you're batch sparging). Regarding your second question, I really have no idea! However, to stay consistent and be able to replicate a recipe in the future, especially if you eventually get a larger MLT, I would personally try to hit equal temps on both mashes. Good luck and let us know how it works!

Two mashes would be fine, except it's going to add an extra couple hours to your brew day between a 60 min mash and 2 potential sparges (assuming you're batch sparging). Regarding your second question, I really have no idea! However, to stay consistent and be able to replicate a recipe in the future, especially if you eventually get a larger MLT, I would personally try to hit equal temps on both mashes. Good luck and let us know how it works!

That definitely makes sense. I could possible get all the grain in one mash, but trying to make 5 gallons of barleywine in a 10 gallon Igloo will be close. Maybe I need to convince myself I don't need 5 gallons of barleywine.....

I used a similar method in my last 3 batches because I wouldn't like spend money buying a bigger igloo.

So, first I mix all non-specialty grains and split them into my 18 liters igloo (79% of the grains at 147 F) and a 5 liters kettle (21% of the grains at 160 F). Also, before raising the kettle-mash temperature to 160 F, I do the protein rest for 20 minutes to create alpha-amylase. (for details: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-5.html)

As far as I understand, the alpha-amylase (160 F) depends on the protein rest but not on the beta-amylase (147 F), so the alpha and beta could be done in parallel.

The final result:

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert to tell the what exactly tastes differently, but I realized these last 3 batches became more malty and a little bit less alcoholic.

Latest posts

Back