Easy Clean...not a sanitizer? Uh oh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubybrew

Reaction score
My first kit is the 1 gallon NB Caribou Slobber. It came with Easy Cleaner and nothing else in the way of sanitizer.

I'm seeing threads here that point out that Easy Clean is just that, a cleaner, and not a sanitizer like Star San.

Being a n00b and not knowing my head from a hole in the ground when it comes to brewing, I assumed what came with my kit is what I needed to properly sanitize my hardware.

Am I in for some infected brew by only using Easy Clean? :drunk:

U will be fine. Many people start out thinking it will work. Make it a point to go out and grab some star San or iodophor. Rdwhahb

Yes you should be fine, Easy clean is just store brand one step. I used onestep for many batches and never had an infection. I much prefer starsan cause it requires much less contact time for sanitation, 30 seconds. Some believe one step/ easy clean isn't a sanitizer but a cleaner. Others will also claim that it is indeed an antimicrobial sanitizer but they avoid calling themselves a sanitizer because of having to upholds different standards under that claim. LOL, All I know is, My first 15 batches when I started out we're fine with one step.

It's not classified as a sanitizer by the EPA and Starsan is much better, but I'm using Easy Clean and have not had an issue with sanitation in a batch yet. Maybe that will change over time but I doubt it. Starsan is pretty much accepted as the best for brewers, I used it with my brother and loved it but I have no issue with Easy Clean and I'll use it til it's gone, then I'll get StarSan.

I used that stuff/"one step" for like a full year I think before learning about star san. The only time I had an infection was when my yeast didn't take off for whatever reason, so I blame it on that, not the easy clean/one step. So like others have said, yeah, you should be just fine :mug:

+1 to rdwdah. The only issue is if you ever decide to do some lagering, you might get some off flavors by not sanitizing fully. Or if you decide to harvest yeast... Something to keep in mind if you ever go those directions, but not to worry about now.

I, too, just got Easy Clean "no rinse" with my equipment. Will this work in a spray bottle, too, or not? I'm thinking "not" because it takes longer to work than Star San.

I wouldn't think so. I noticed that it takes quite some time to dissolve. Maybe I have the water temp wrong. Or do you even need to let it fully dissolve before it's effective?

Back