overattenuated APA keg or bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broadbill

Reaction score
About a month back I brewed one of Jamil's APA recipes as well as his Oatmeal Stout recipe. The APA finished out at a lower FG than I was expecting (recipe said FG=1.016 and mine was 1.008, a 85% attenuation). Anyway, when I tasted it I noted it was very hop forward and I attributed that to the overattenuation, throwing it off-balance. It very well may have been a bit green, too. The oatmeal stout, on the other hand pretty good and right where it was supposed to be with FG.

I originally planned to keg the APA and bottle the stout (I only have one keg), but now I'm thinking that the APA may be the one to bottle? An extended aging period my mellow the hop bitterness and bring this beer back in balance a bit. Is my thinking right on this on "rescuing" over-attentuated beers? This is my plan right now, subject to change based on tasting it again to see if the harsh hop bitterness has mellowed in the APA any....

Thanks!

How about kegging it and adding some maltodextrin? You could do the adds in stages and find out what works the best.

Sorry, I don't think I made my thinking clear:

Since I only have one keg, beer that end up in it typically gets drunk first/fast. My initial thought was to put the APA on tap and bottle the stout for a more extended aging (to let the roasted barley notes mellow some).

However, my thought was that my APA may benefit from some aging and should be bottled instead. Although Irrenarzt's point about cutting my loses and kegging it for a quick drink does seem like the best bet.

How about kegging it and adding some maltodextrin? You could do the adds in stages and find out what works the best.

Thanks for the suggestion, it seems like more work than its worth-I'll probably end up drinking most of it myself anyway!

Back