same juice two different colors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daze

Reaction score
I have two batches of cider sitting next to one another, both made with the same apple juice concentrate. The only differences between the two is one has "oat milk" but the other doesn't and the yeast I used. Even though they started out the same color the oat milk batch is about half as dark as the non oat milk batch.
cidercolor.jpg

I don't know if this was because the oat solids absorbed the color or if it has to do with the yeast (light one is using Montrachet where as the dark one is "domesticated wild apple yeast") As soon as the oat milk batch is done I will wash the yeast and start another batch with out the oat milk so it will be interesting to see if it comes out light or dark.

The most likely reason is the particles from the oat milk scattering light, not absorbing it.

At first I thought the same thing... at least I thought it had more to do with the oat milk, but after two weeks of fermenting all the oat solids settled to the bottom and congealed in to a solid mass, then I racked off the cider above so I don't think there is much in the way of oat particles left in the cider. I am wondering if it has more to do with the yeast?? Especially since they were the same basic color before I added the yeast.

Back