Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete3

Reaction score
I am brewing my second partial mash batch of beer and I will be a oatmeal stout. can't wait till i drink it when its done.

2 cans Briess dark malt extract 3.3lbs. each
1 lb carmel malt 90L milled already (steeping)
1/4 lb roasted barley (steeping)
1/4 lb black patent malt (steeping)
1/2 lb chocolate malt (steeping)
1 lb flaked oats (steeping)
1 oz fuggle hop pellets for bittering
1 oz kent golding hop pellets for aroma
california ale yeast (wlp001)

Primary: none
secondary: none
bottled: pale ale

getting to be good weather round here for an oatmeal stout! I like the classic hops you're using. Should be a nice compliment to the "harsher" malts. I find oatmeal stouts work well for me when I brew them. Enjoy!

pete3 said:
I am brewing my second partial mash batch of beer and I will be a oatmeal stout. can't wait till i drink it when its done.

2 cans Briess dark malt extract 3.3lbs. each
1 lb carmel malt 90L milled already (steeping)
1/4 lb roasted barley (steeping)
1/4 lb black patent malt (steeping)
1/2 lb chocolate malt (steeping)
1 lb flaked oats (steeping)
1 oz fuggle hop pellets for bittering
1 oz kent golding hop pellets for aroma
california ale yeast (wlp001)

Looks similar to the one I just brewed on Monday :mug:

3.30 lb Pale Liquid Extract (6.0 SRM) Extract 32.67 %
4.25 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 42.08 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.90 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.43 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (250.0 SRM) Grain 4.95 %
0.30 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.97 %
1.00 oz First Gold [6.90 %] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
1.00 oz First Gold [6.90 %] (10 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)

Looks good. In the past I've usually just used 1.5-2 oz of EKG for 60. You're really not looking for the hop aroma in a stout.

I second the recommendations to drop the aroma hops and to actually do a partial mash using some 2 row with your specialty grains and the flaked oats. I'd also drop the black patent and up the roasted barley.

well I pitched my yeast early this morning at around 3am and the temp was 80 F. Now its 10 am and no activity but will hopefully see some acitvity in 24 hrs mark. I had fun doing this batch and it was a real pleasure hearing from folks in the house that the aroma smelled great when i added the hops. I will update in a few days.:ban:

If this is a partial mash, what are you mashing? Looks more like an extract recipe with steeping grains to me. Either way, sounds tasty.

Not to hijack your thread here, but...

I've got a cream stout kit from Midwest to brew on Friday and I'm considering my options:

1) Kick it up to an Imperial Stout with a few pounds of dark DME / LME that I've got laying around (will this work to kick up the ABV and still retain the Stout characteristics?)

2) Forgo the lactose and use a pound or two of flaked oatmeal

3) Throw it all in and make a Cream Oatmeal Imperial Stout.

Thoughts from the learned brewers out there?

Focus

PS. I've also got half a pound of rye... should I use it?

I might be jumping the gun but I have no fermentaion activity in my airlock. It has been 24 hrs. since I piched the yeast at 80F. Anyone have any ideas what I need to do? I might have to repitch the yeast tomorrow. Thanks:rockin:

I've brewed batches that didn't start actively fermenting for about 36 hours so I'd be a little more patient before repitching. Don't worry about pitching yeast at 80 degrees. I do it all the time. As long as it's below 90, you should be alright.

RDWHAHB!

Did you brew in a bucket? I had a batch where I saw NO airlock activity what so ever. It did not bubble even once. I popped back part of the lid and saw the layer of krausen and knew it was working. Turned out I had a leak between the lid and bucket. Batch turned out just fine!

I left this morning at 5am to do some testing for the california corrections and came home at 5pm and found my fermenter bubbling like a champ. I was a little worried when i left it wasnt bubbling yet. Hope it turned out right but my OG was 1.030 at 80F:rockin: and not 1.056.

Back