Continuously saving bottled yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewclearAssault

Reaction score
Hi, I've been trying to educate myself as much as I can about yeast culturing and I'm excited to start trying it soon. My favorite aspect that I've read is that you can save the yeast from the bottom of some home brews or even from certain commercial beers.

I've read up on a few methods to do it, my favorite being essentially:
1. Drink 6 beers with some friends
2. Save the last 1/2 inch of beer with all the yeast in it
3. Combine them into one bottle
4. Culture them when you're ready to

My question is: is it still plausible to use this method and to drink, say 1 or 2 beers a day, and put the yeast from those bottles into a "yeast saver bottle" then continuously add to that bottle with the yeast from the beers I've had throughout the week until I am ready to culture them? Or would this endanger sanitizing somehow?

I hope that makes sense!

Your idea would work, its worth a shot but I think you would have less of a contamination load if you take the yeast from one bottle and step it up.

Hi, I've been trying to educate myself as much as I can about yeast culturing and I'm excited to start trying it soon. My favorite aspect that I've read is that you can save the yeast from the bottom of some home brews or even from certain commercial beers.

I've read up on a few methods to do it, my favorite being essentially:
1. Drink 6 beers with some friends
2. Save the last 1/2 inch of beer with all the yeast in it
3. Combine them into one bottle
4. Culture them when you're ready to

My question is: is it still plausible to use this method and to drink, say 1 or 2 beers a day, and put the yeast from those bottles into a "yeast saver bottle" then continuously add to that bottle with the yeast from the beers I've had throughout the week until I am ready to culture them? Or would this endanger sanitizing somehow?

I hope that makes sense!

Just re-cap the bottles until you save enough to harvest. Here is what I do to harvest commercial yeast. To harvest homebrew yeast, it's just easier to get it out of the fermenter than the bottle.

Back