Bottle carb Ques...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad3529

Reaction score
Hello All-
I have a question in regards to bottle carbonating. My first batch - I used Coopers drops so there wasnot to much guess work 3 per 1 L. bottle. The issue is that they are way too much $$$$$.
I have the corn sugar....but how much do I use??? It is a wheat beer. 1 L bottles. I dont have a bottle bucket so the whole boiling the sugar with some water is out.... can I just measure some and put in the bottle directly???
Also, someone was talking about leaving more head space due to the volume in the L bottles?
I do want the nice and caronated for this style so.......
Im using the flip top bottles if that makes and difference.

Thanks for all your help.

Personally, I would get a bottling bucket. You will use it for every batch you brew (unless you start kegging).

I have no experience with adding corn sugar to the bottle, seems very tough and messy.

If you want to add to each bottle go with the tabs/drops.

Hope this help (probably not but...bump).

if you have any of the cooper drops left, weigh them on a nice kitchen scale, then use that much corn sugar per 1L bottle.
another option is to find that magic number for a 12 oz bottle (I think its like 1/4tsp) and then do the math to find out how many oz in a liter, then more math to find the teaspoons.

a bottling bucket is still a handy tool, unless you're planning to keg eventually. still they're only like $15.

This: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html

will tell you how much corn sugar you need for 5 gallons, depending on your desired CO2 volumes and serving temp.

5 US gallons = 18.92 liters, so divide whatever you get by 18.92.

But it would be much easier (and you'll get better, more consistent results) if you use a bottling bucket and prime everything together.

For what it is worth, I decided to just buy another fermentation pail to use as a bottling bucket. My LHBS was out of bottling buckets, and I figured I might be able to use a second fermenter, or perhaps use it as a secondary for my next batch *shrug*. I just bottled today, and I am pleased as punch to have racked it to the 2nd bucket first to mix the priming sugar. No need to worry about dumping un-sanitized sugar into each bottle, and could concentrate on filling the bottles instead of avoiding setiment from the primary. Also gave me a good spot to store the sanitizer while prepping.

Thank you to all who replied. I decided to make the trip to the store and buy a bottle bucket. All is bottled waiting for carbination. Anyone ever had a flip top bottle explode? I used just under 1 c of sugar and left about 2" of room at the top.
Thanks again.

I've never had a flip top explode! I bottle almost exclusively in Grolsch bottles. I use 4 ounces of priming sugar but I have no idea how many cups or fractions that is!

Latest posts

Back