God I love Craigslist!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed_

Reaction score
Found a 20 cu ft chest freezer today for $100. Already have completed my keezer build a few months back so time for a fermentation chamber/cold storage for the extra kegs. Testing out the size I've already managed to get 6 carboys/brew buckets in it and 3 kegs and there's still plenty of room for another 3 kegs plus room for hop/yeast storage in the basket over the compressor and 2-3 six packs on top of the compressor.

I'm feeling like a kid at Christmas.

brewzilla.jpg

I search CL at least twice daily. I haven't seen it, yet, but my wife picked up a 24 cu ft chest freezer for me for $200. All the keezer components are en route in Brown trucks. They'll be waiting for me whne I get home in a couple weeks :rockin:

Congrats! You'll love it. You should be able to store 12 five gallon kegs and 2 three gallon cornies or other stuff in it.

KeezerIsFull.jpg

Too funny Ed. I use blue painter tape to ID my kegs as well! But where are all the beer lines? Mine looks like a rats nest in there.

If I get to the point where I need to keep 12 kegs in cold storage then I am A) making too much beer or B) not drinking enough. Hopefully 8 filled at a time should be enough (4 active in keezer and 4 in this one). Maybe add a couple others if I do some lagering in the kegs.

I search CL at least twice daily. I haven't seen it, yet, but my wife picked up a 24 cu ft chest freezer for me for $200. All the keezer components are en route in Brown trucks. They'll be waiting for me whne I get home in a couple weeks :rockin:

Wow...are you doing a collar and taps on the 24cu ft? that is going to be a monster if so!

Now a few corneys and a sanke or two...that might be bad ass.

If I get to the point where I need to keep 12 kegs in cold storage then I am A) making too much beer or B) not drinking enough. Hopefully 8 filled at a time should be enough (4 active in keezer and 4 in this one). Maybe add a couple others if I do some lagering in the kegs.

It gets hot down in Bama, so get your brewing done late winter, early fall and fill the sucker up to last you through the hot muggy Bama Summers. :rockin:

It gets hot down in Bama, so get your brewing done late winter, early fall and fill the sucker up to last you through the hot muggy Bama Summers. :rockin:

You're not kidding about the heat... with this sucker though my hope is I'll have enough room to brew at proper temps year round.

I've already got college football as an obsession I can only do four months out of the year, I'm not sure if I can handle having another with that restriction.

You're not kidding about the heat... with this sucker though my hope is I'll have enough room to brew at proper temps year round.

Yep, next to that in my garage is a 14 cu ft chest freezer I use to ferment in and I can fit 3 bucket fermenters in it at one time.

:off:Xtant I know this is off topic. However, I just wanted to say THANK YOU TO NOT ONLY YOU BUT EVERY OTHER MAN AND WOMAN WHO IS PROUDLY SERVING IN THE US ARMED FORCES. COME HOME SAFELY AND QUICKLY!!!:rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

What do you guys do just dial the thermostat above freezing temperatures? Will go go above freezing or do they need modded? Will the kegs store longer at 35 degrees than they do at 68 degrees, or is it a negligible difference?

What do you guys do just dial the thermostat above freezing temperatures? Will go go above freezing or do they need modded? Will the kegs store longer at 35 degrees than they do at 68 degrees, or is it a negligible difference?

When using a freezer as a kegerator or fermentation chamber you have to get a temp controller like a Ranco/Johnson or your can build your own from a controller like a Love TS series temp controller. The love route is how I've gone with my Kegerator build and with this fermentation chamber. The controller I made for this one is basically like this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/help-wiring-love-controller-154450/

Oceanselv: thanks for your support. It's my pleasure...

Ed_: Yes, I plan to collar it and throw some perlick 425SS's on there. Small, at first. just 4 taps and 4 cornies. I do also have some commercial couplers on the way, as well. My goal is more cornies and a nitrogen stout setup by the end of the year.

I wasn't looking to go that big, but it works out.

Oh yeah...at some point I will actually brew my first batch of beer...lol

My wife just picked this up after work:
Two Buckets, each with a lid and spigot ($28 Value)
Siphon ($10 value)
Bottle cap clamper ($14 value)
Book on “How to Brew” ($20 value)
Assorted Amber brew Bottles and Bottle caps ($20 value)
Hydrometer ($7 value)
Other assorted brew making items (air lock, no rinse cleaner, ect.)

$35...not bad...

completely unrelated to beer, but I also sold a Mustang within 24 hours on CL. So far, it has been very good to me...

Oceanselv: thanks for your support. It's my pleasure...

Ed_: Yes, I plan to collar it and throw some perlick 425SS's on there. Small, at first. just 4 taps and 4 cornies. I do also have some commercial couplers on the way, as well. My goal is more cornies and a nitrogen stout setup by the end of the year.

I wasn't looking to go that big, but it works out.

Oh yeah...at some point I will actually brew my first batch of beer...lol

My wife just picked this up after work:

$35...not bad...

completely unrelated to beer, but I also sold a Mustang within 24 hours on CL. So far, it has been very good to me...

I must bow to a new level of brewing obsession. I think you are the first person I've actually talked to that got his keezer started before brewing his first batch of beer. Absolutely awesome :rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

Here's to a long and healthy obsession with the best hobby in the world :mug:

I'm just very prone to finding myself on a slippery slope ;)

Why start off with the generic basics when I can start off with the HBT basics of full boils and cold crashes and kegging and BMs beer gun? lol

Back