Should a German hefeweizen look like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roopert

Reaction score
Ive had a couple but they were not nearly this dark. Cloudy, yes but this baby is thick and not as clear as I expected. Either way, its delicious. Just wanted input from anyone who brews German hefs (used lme) let me know what you think or post pics of any German hefs you have made. Thanks all.

ForumRunner_20130222_004459.jpg

Hi,
your Hefeweizen looks a little bit like fruit juice.
Actually it is okay for a Hefeweizen to be cloudy (naturtrueb) if it is not a crystal Hefeweizen, but yours seems just to be too far on the cloudy side.

Cheers
Martin

Yes. The hydrometer indicated it was at the correct post fermentation levels. I taste alcohol and it's carbonated. Spent about 11 days in bottle. Should I give them more time?

If they taste great drink up. I don't worry what my beers particularly look like because sometimes they surprise me.

What yeast did you use. Looks like the yeast hasn't floculated out all the way yet. I am like the others, if it tastes goood and is carbed, drink it. Hefe's do not do well if aged too long, they are best served cold and young. I think the yeast will continue to settle and it will clear up a bit, but still be a bit cloudy because hefe's are supposed to be that way anyway.
Wheelchair Bob

Was there a tight little cake in the bottom of the bottle or was it clean when you rinsed it out? I routinely leave my beer in the bottle to condition for 4 weeks. However, Hefes are considered best when consumed young, so if it tastes good and its carb'd correctly, you're OK. Perhaps take a 6er and celler it for a couple months to see if it clears. That will satisfy your curiosity. Varying conditioning regimes on a particular batch is one of the many advantages of bottling!!!

In my experience,hefe's should be very misty,but not turbid with yeast. A few days to settle out more after FG would've been better looking. Not clear,but translucent.

If its a partial boil extract kit it'll be that dark I brew those all the time for the wife. Did you leave the yeast behind in the bottle? Here's a pic of mine

image-1998753245.jpg

Back