Sorachi Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madchemist83

Reaction score
Hi All.
Brewing saison tomorrow. Anyone made sorachi saison ? Any advice on temps and hop schedule ?

I'm drinking one I brewed on 08/19
1.065 SG - 1.004 FG
mashed at 147 for 75 minutes
90 minute boil
1oz (25 IBU) sorachi ace as FWH
1oz (13 IBU) sorachi ace at 20 min
pitched Wyeast 3724 at 70F, raised 3F a day to 90F, held there until 1.004

It's darn good, but a little young.
Maybe a little too much bitterness, I think the FWH would be better at 60 min. It is mellowing out rapidly, however, and will probably be epic in 3-4 weeks, if it lasts that long (I only made 10 gallons).

Thanks wolfman. Sounds good, here is my recipie:

Style: Saison
Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 6.0 gal
OG: 1.076
Bitterness (IBU): 47.8
Color (SRM): 6.9
ABV: 7.5%

Grain/Sugars:

4.00 lb Pilsener (German), 36.4%
4.00 lb Light DME, 36.4%
1.00 lb Munich (German), 9.1%
1.00 lb Flaked Wheat, 9.1%
1.00 lb Cane Sugar, 9.1%

Hops:

0.50 oz Sorachi Ace (AA 12.6%, Pellet) 60 min, 19.2 IBU
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace (AA 12.6%, Pellet) 40 min, 16.9 IBU
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace (AA 12.6%, Pellet) 20 min, 11.7 IBU
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace (AA 12.6%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU

I'll probably mash around 148 and do 30 min rest around 126. Also sugar goes in later in fermentation. Going to use Wyeast 3711 and ramp the temp like u suggested.

Id ditch the 40 min addition and use it to add to the 0min addition

I did one, it's on my blog. Use the link in my signature if you want to check it out (sorachi jade saison)

Meh, I'm not much of a fan of this hop. Lemon and dilll aren't my thing.

I also agree, ditch the 40 minute addition. If your beer needs more bitterness, make the 60 minute addition larger or FWH and use the rest of the 40 min addition at flameout.

I also would not do a protein rest. Even though you have unmalted wheat in there, the protein rest will also break down the proteins in everything else. You don't need to break down the flaked wheat, especially since you are adding sugar in the kettle to thin it out.

I did a key lime saison with sorachi that recently won belgian specialty with a 45. I don't have the recipe in front of me, but I can post it when I get home tonight if you are interested.

Ok guys sorry it took me so long on this...here it is:

"The limey frenchman" 10 gal og-1.060

14 lbs pilsner malt
2 lb rye
2 lb biscuit
2 lb vienna
2 lb honey (added late in the boil...10 mins)

Mash low and slow...145 for 90 mins.

I have been playing around some with mash thickness, and mashed this one thick at 1 qt/lb. Double batch sparged to preboil volume

90 minute boil as always with pils

1.5 oz. Perle. 60 mins
1 oz. Saaz 30 mins
1 oz. Sorachi ace 15 mins
Whirlfloc 10 mins
2 lbs. Honey 10 mins
1 oz. Sorachi ace 5 mins

Zest of five key limes at 0 min/whirlpool

Adequate amount of wyeast 3711, started at 68 then ramped up to 74
Added zest of 5 key limes to secondary for 7 days. Finished super dry (1.004)

If you can't get key limes do it with regular limes or omit them completely. I think this still would have been super good without them, but they added that "intangible factor" that judges look for.

One judge suggested backing off the rye, so you may take that into account, but personally, I like the spiciness that rye gives in saisons. It works well with the saaz and helps balance the citrus from the lime zest and sorachi.

I'm glad to answer any questions. Also, if you wind up brewing this let me know how it turns out.

Cheers...wnc

Back