Good yeast for sour brown?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moger777

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of trying a sour brown this weekend from the monk cafe. I've had lambics before but thought they were too sour. I really enjoyed the brown ale though and wanna try one myself. I was thinking of splitting the batch in two and brewing one with a cultured lambic blend and the other using wild yeast from my backyard to compare them with. What I need is a good yeast to use for a sour brown.

I had the pleasure of trying a sour brown this weekend from the monk cafe. I've had lambics before but thought they were too sour. I really enjoyed the brown ale though and wanna try one myself. I was thinking of splitting the batch in two and brewing one with a cultured lambic blend and the other using wild yeast from my backyard to compare them with. What I need is a good yeast to use for a sour brown.

Wyeast has a lambic blend, but I think the best sour yeast out there has to be roselare. I think the roselare strain is about to come out again, so look for it.

I would be careful with using the yeast from your backyard. Sure it's a fun experiment, but try it with a gallon first. Wild yeast experiments are not usually successful, but if you do get a good one, you can always inoculate another batch with it.

Wyeast has a lambic blend, but I think the best sour yeast out there has to be roselare. I think the roselare strain is about to come out again, so look for it.

I would be careful with using the yeast from your backyard. Sure it's a fun experiment, but try it with a gallon first. Wild yeast experiments are not usually successful, but if you do get a good one, you can always inoculate another batch with it.

I was planning on doing a 5 gal batch and splitting it into two 3.5 gallon buckets, one will have the cultured blend and the other will be put outside with a cheesecloth covering the bucket. I may instead try for a 6 or 7 gallon batch putting 5 gallons with the cultured yeast and the other 1 to 2 gallons in a smaller bucket covered with cheesecloth in the field.

I am wanting to do a sour brown as well but am very inexperienced in sours but love them!! I still do extract brewing and was just going to purchase a simple brown kit from northern brewer and instead of using the regular suggested yeast I was going to try a sour blend.... SO, Is this gona work? What yeast should I use? Can I sour any type of beer?

Back