Sirius-XM merger....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What do you current subscribers think of this?

Has it been officially approved yet? And if so, how can the FCC justify this? No sat radio competition means bad news for current subscribers.

I am glad that we can finally <maybe> get MLB on Sirius, but at what cost is this going to change for us?

I think the whole merger is BAD news.......

All I know to this point is the prez of Sirius already released a statement about the merger--which sound slike he knows more than the print media does.

I just can't see how the FCC buys off on this.

There's a huge issue with the FCC; basically, the way the law is currently written, the two satellite radio licenses CANNOT be owned by the same company. There's a chance that the FCC can simply waive the rule, or it may require Congressional action. The big brokerages are putting anywhere from a 25% - 50% chance that the deal ultimately goes through.

The antitrust issues shouldn't be as hard for them to deal with, but this FCC thing could kill the whole thing. I've been telling people interested in XMSR or SIRI that this potential merger was inevitable for the past five or six years, since whenever these guys went public - the economics simply make so much more sense when there's one provider, not two.

I got Sirius because I liked what they had to offer better than XM. I hope the merger doesn't mean I get programming more like XM's, and I doubt it will mean that I get everything that the old Sirius and old XM had to offer all rolled up into one subscription. I'm a bit leary as well...

And if the FCC is listening...I'm about to figure out how to broadcast my wireless internet signal at over 1 watt via a really sweet (geeky) antenna setup and amplifier. Too bad I'm not in the US right now. Jerks. Oops, I mean thank you for the VHF band gap at 108 MHz - that really was a good idea. Now my jet won't follow KGAY's easy listening broadcast into the ground in bad weather.

Yuri--I know what you mean. I have Sirius and SWMBO has XM in her car, and I can't stand XM. Even the music I like--are lame on XM.

Octane is the cat's ass. I flip back and forth between Blue Collar comedy, Octane and ESPN radio. During NFL season--NFL radio is great too. And then add NFL and NHL to the mix.....whoa.

I'm all about Buzzsaw and Octane, SWMBO listens to Classic Vinyl and 80's hits (!) I used to listen to The Who channel on occasion, but they moved it and now I have to pay extra to get it? F*** that noise.

I'm with you, Dude.

I flip between Octane, Buzzsaw, the 70's and 80's channels, and Hair Nation for music (Octane is almost always on when making brewquipment in the garage).

I like Blue Collar, Raw Dog, and (I'll admit it) the Howard channels for entertainment.

``The vast majority are getting their radio over the air and for free and that will be a restraint on satellite radio's ability to raise prices,'' Karmazin said. He put chances of approval at ``better than 50 percent.''

Great statement. They want to create a monopolistic model so they can raise prices each month.

I get the concept, but no way in hell would I pay $13.95+ per month to listen to the radio when I have an iPod I can program for free.

Cheesefood said:
``The vast majority are getting their radio over the air and for free and that will be a restraint on satellite radio's ability to raise prices,'' Karmazin said. He put chances of approval at ``better than 50 percent.''

Great statement. They want to create a monopolistic model so they can raise prices each month.

I get the concept, but no way in hell would I pay $13.95+ per month to listen to the radio when I have an iPod I can program for free.

I thought you had XM?

Cheesefood said:
Dude, I drive a Jeep with blown out speakers. None of that yuppy crap for me.
I drive a '96 F150 with enough custom Yuri-mods that my buds call it the Frankentruck. It has Sirius so I can listen to non-stop butt rock through the trashiest amp/speakers known to man. How dare you "yuppy" me!

How are they going to make nice with all the legacy tuners that only support one standard? (Assumption on my part)

I'm also worried what will happen to Jeep if it's spun off Daimler.

They are more than likley (from what i believe) going to streamline the content, ie. merge overlapping music channels, and probably get rid of some that are similar. I think they may also go to a la carte pay schedule. So probably pay a base fee for the music channels then a package for sports, a package for howard stern, and so on. They will absolutly raise the price (how much???). :confused: Mel karmizen (sp?) said the other day that it would be less than paying $26 a month, meaning less than paying for both a supscription to xm and siruis.

I was looking forward to the merger but now i dont want the al la carte deal. They claim it wont be a monopoly and will be better able to compete wiht other digital audio and terestrial radio, but they will have the power to charge monpoly prices (restricting supply increasing price, since the merged companies will have the costs of one company and potentially the subsriber base of both) Xm has some better technology than sirius, better reception (i think i dont have xm). They also have a wireless signal transmitter for home antennas which i will hope to become part or sirius.

Who knows what will happen but i heard they are predicting no changes for at least a year.

Ha! Look at cable prices and how steady they've remained. Start looking forward to 5% increases per year.

I'll stick with my iPod on shuffle and the occasional podcast.

Yuri_Rage said:
And if the FCC is listening...I'm about to figure out how to broadcast my wireless internet signal at over 1 watt via a really sweet (geeky) antenna setup and amplifier. Too bad I'm not in the US right now. Jerks. Oops, I mean thank you for the VHF band gap at 108 MHz - that really was a good idea. Now my jet won't follow KGAY's easy listening broadcast into the ground in bad weather.

My buddy at work uses his Verizon Card and streams all of his stuff from home to his car computer.

Here is the letter from Mel:

SNIP>
February 19, 2007

To: SIRIUS Subscribers

Today is a very exciting day for SIRIUS customers. As you may have heard,
SIRIUS Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio are merging to form the nation's
premier audio entertainment provider.

This combination of our two offerings will benefit you - our loyal listeners.
As a single company, we'll provide superior programming to you every day with
the best of both SIRIUS and XM. Currently, XM and SIRIUS broadcast a wide range
of commercial-free music channels, exclusive sports coverage, news, talk, and
entertainment programming. Howard Stern. Oprah and Friends. The NFL. MLB.
NBA. ESPN. CNBC. Fox News. Additionally, the combined company will be able
to improve existing services such as real-time traffic information and rear-seat
video as well as introduce new ones.

After shareholder and regulatory approvals, we anticipate that the combination
will be finalized by the end of 2007. Until then, both companies will continue
to operate independently. We will continue to provide you with the
uninterrupted service - as well as the outstanding customer support - that you
have come to expect and enjoy from SIRIUS. We do not anticipate any changes in
your service during the merger process, however, please call our customer care
team on 1- 888-539-7474 should you have any questions.

We look forward to the many benefits this combination will offer and continuing
to make your listening experience an enjoyable one - offering more of the Very
Best Radio on Radio.

Stay tuned,

Mel Karmazin, CEO
SNIP>

I'm all about the Jam Station, and Classic vinyl, 1st wave takes me back to my college days.

So bird...if this merger happens, would you recommend buying into it? I don't know anything about trading, But I'd be interested in this. I think it could explode.

I have XM and like it but can't make a comparison with Sirius. I have my stations, mostly X-country which is Americana/Austin roots music. XM doesn't get NPR, but I can get that locally anyway. I like the BBC. As long as they don't jack the price all out of wack.

Brewpastor said:
I have my stations, mostly X-country which is Americana/Austin roots music.
Sweet. This is the only weakness of Sirius compared to XM IMO...I listen to Outlaw Country on Sirius which is sort of the same format, but not quite. I listen to the NASCAR channel a lot, too, so I guess I need to get my pickup running again and my overalls stitched up.

I think the deal with the merger is that one or both would go broke if the merger doesn't happen. Less choices is always bad for consumers, and that includes zero choices I suppose. I wish they could stay seperate, viable, and compete, but like Dude I have to admit I am looking forward to some MLB. I think the World Cup was on XM, as well.

Hates all radio all the time.

Radio%2018.gif

Here is the deal. Radio is not like TV, and as such most of america will not pay for it. With that being said, enough people do, but, not enough to make a finacial go of it for both sirrius and XM. The real diff betweent the two is this.

XM has:

Baseball and opie and anthony

Sirrius has:

NFL and Howard Stern

That is the major diff between the two other than GM has a stake in XM and thus offers it with most every vehicle they sell as an option. Apart they are scrapping for market share, together they can own the industry that consists of just the two of them.

My 2 cents!

Personally I dont care for Stern or Bubba the love Sponge. Im a big fan of Opie and Anthony though. I was going to go with XM but now it doesnt really matter I guess.

Chimone said:
Personally I dont care for Stern or Bubba the love Sponge. Im a big fan of Opie and Anthony though. I was going to go with XM but now it doesnt really matter I guess.

I got XM for Opie & Anthony but I stayed for Ron & Fez...

From what I've read, if the merger goes through, for the forseeable future they won't be combining services - you either choose one or the other.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I haven't heard Opie and Anthony, but I listened to the first week of Stern when he came to Sirius. I'm not sure what I'm missing, but I have no idea why people listen to that show.

I'm not trying to start a flame war here but I don't care squat about Howard...

O&A are at least honest - probably too honest. heh

actually Opie and Anthony do both terrestrial and satellite shows everyday. They have a syndicated morning show on CBS then head over to xm at 9.

Someone sent me an email with a clip of sterns show. It was a chick riding a radio controlled dildo like a rodeo bull with that hairy looking producer of his controlling it. Now, the nude chick and insertion were cool, but, that is nothing i want to listen to on the radio.

On video:rockin:

I spent some time listening to him as well as many others trying to figure out cues and techniques that avg listeners pay little to no attention to so i may try to improve my own on air abilities. i must tell you honestly, i found nothing redeeming about sterns show or his ability.

In radio it is the right place at the right time that makes one famous, that and the ability to do a bit of backstabbing. I atribute this to sterns sucess.

I do not know Ize from adam but i am betting he would say the same thing.

IMHO, the only thing XM has going for it is MLB. Im not into the morning shows (Strern or O&A) so perhaps that has some appeal to some. I have had both, and feel that Sirius has the better music programming, though I did like X-Country on XM better than Outlaw Country on Sirius. I forsee you choosing one basic service, either XM or Sirius, then choosing ala carte for certain programs.(ie. Subscribe to Sirius, but ala carte MLB). Regardless, this merger news will create alot of free publicity for satelite radio. With both companies stock trading at the lower end of the price scale, it seems like it has the potential to be a good investment. Speaking for myself, as someone who spends 15+ hours in the truck every week, once you get satelite radio, you'll never go back to regular broadcast radio.

Dude said:
Has it been officially approved yet? And if so, how can the FCC justify this?

I didn't read the whole thread, and maybe this was already mentioned, but ....

Isn't one of the main things with satellite radio that the FCC isn't really an authority over it?

I mean, the FCC was the thing that drove Howard Stern to go to satellite.

-walker

Walker-san said:
I didn't read the whole thread, and maybe this was already mentioned, but ....

Isn't one of the main things with satellite radio that the FCC isn't really an authority over it?

I mean, the FCC was the thing that drove Howard Stern to go to satellite.

-walker

You are correct sir. The FCC governs regular radio because it belongs to the public, you and me. When you pay for something,(Sat. radio) you are willing to be subjected to what ever they broadcast.

On a content basis no they have no say, as far as merging, if there were others i would say it is a problem, but seeing as how they are the only two and both want it i dont see how they can say they are creating a monopoly.

Back