1 gallon plastic water jug for starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingfinbar

Reaction score
As a relatively new BIAB all grain brewer, I still have yet to really delve into liquid yeasts. My friend and I are planning on brewing a belgian tripel this weekend, and we definitely need a liquid yeast with a sizable starter.

Is there anything potentially wrong with using a well-sanitized one gallon plastic Poland Spring water jug as the fermenting vessel for the inevitably large starter we will need? Thanks!

I usually use an empty growler with an airlock adapted lid. The lid cost me about a dollar and I already had a bunch of air locks sitting around. Before this I was using an oversized champagne bottle with a bunch of foil. Couldn't really tell if the yeast ever started but it worked every time, lucky I guess.

I wouldn't see why that jug wouldn't work since it had water in it previously and if it is properly sanitized. I also use an empty growler myself.

I usually use an empty growler with an airlock adapted lid.
Hopnotch, you should just use a piece of foil placed loosely over the top of the growler as the yeast need oxygen to reproduce. If you're using an airlock they'll be trapped in a CO2 environment. The foil will be enough to prevent contamination.

Latest posts

Back