Noob accident; Will my batch be bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerPug

Reaction score
While my first batch is bottled and I'm waiting to drink it, I started a second batch on Sunday and think I messed up.

Right as I got the boil going, I was supposed to add the dry extract, but I accidentally put in the first set of hops. I caught it after about 8 minutes, took it off the heat, added the extract, and then put it back on the heat for the rest of the boil.

Did I screw up the beer too awfully bad?

Nope, you're good. You'll make beer and it'll drink. May have a little different hop profile but it'll be ok. No worries.

Not at all. You can actually add extract at almost any point during the boil. The only problematic thing that will happen is that it pushes up your hop utilization and make the beer more bitter. However, 8 minutes is not enough to make any appreciable difference.

As you do more extract brews, you are probably going to formulate your own recipes so you can add the extract later in the boil and still have the appropriate amount of hops. Adding the extract at the end (last fifteen minutes or so) of the boil is what many do--I did when I was making extract beers--because it produces less caramel and because the extract is already boiled and only needs to be in long enough in case any wayward bacteria has found its way into the extract.

Yeah,8 minutes isn't much in the grand scheme of beer brewing. I do late additions with extract as well. anything from kit-n-kilo to PB/PM BIAB. I add the extract @ flame out,since the wort is still boiling hot & pasteurization happens at only 160F in seconds. Lighter color & cleaner flavor with no problems regarding nasties if proper sanitiation is followed.
Since it was the first hop addition,it'll still make bittering,just not quite as much as if the extract had been added ime. But the difference is so minimal,you won't really notice.

Thanks so much, guys. From everything I have read here and elsewhere about home brewing over the past several weeks, half of the time I think "it is so easy to screw this up" and the other half of the time I think "boy, I really have to try hard to screw this up".

I use half the dry extract in the beginning and the other half with 5 minutes to go. Works well.

PanzerPug said:
half of the time I think "it is so easy to screw this up" and the other half of the time I think "boy, I really have to try hard to screw this up".

Brewing in general is easy and hard to screw up if your after a beer you'll love to drink and share with your friends. Where many start stressing and calling all shots as critical is taking there beer to "the next level" for competitions etc. Sometimes this line gets a little blurry, and is hard to tell what's a "have to have" and what's a "nice to have"

Back