Belgian yeast in non-Belgain beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Le Freak from Green Flash recently. It's described as an IIPA brewed like a Tripel. It was very nice and it got me thinking: What other beers would be new/interesting brewed with Belgian yeast.

American Pale Ale (probably my favorite style)?
ESB
American Wheat

I always keep a light colored, less hoppy beer on tap for the BMC crowd, so how about Centennial Blonde or a Cream Ale with a Belgian yeast?

When you start messing around there is always the chance of ending up with muddled flavors that don't compliment each other very well. For example, I don't think a Belgian yeast would compliment an ESB.

Has anybody tried this? What do you think?

I had a Le Freak from Green Flash recently. It's described as an IIPA brewed like a Tripel. It was very nice and it got me thinking: What other beers would be new/interesting brewed with Belgian yeast.

American Pale Ale (probably my favorite style)?
ESB
American Wheat

I always keep a light colored, less hoppy beer on tap for the BMC crowd, so how about Centennial Blonde or a Cream Ale with a Belgian yeast?

When you start messing around there is always the chance of ending up with muddled flavors that don't compliment each other very well. For example, I don't think a Belgian yeast would compliment an ESB.

Has anybody tried this? What do you think?

A belgian pale ale has a pale ale grain bill, but belgian ale yeast and European hops. Belgian IPAs are bigger with more hops. Personally, they are one of my favorite styles.

10 lbs pilsener
1.5 lbs c-20

2 oz liberty @60
2 oz saaz @30
1 oz saaz @5

That's basically Randy Mosher's recipe. I have 2 going right now. Have not tasted it yet, but I think I'm gonna hit it with an oz of cascade hop tea before kegging.

Have you tried Stone's "Cali-Belgique" IPA?

Nope. Texas is not as bad as Alabama and some other states for beer selection, but there isn't a great selection. I'd love to try it.

BTW I had the Le Freak in Los Angeles.

L

I just, hopefully, brewed a Belgian esb. I had:
6lbs northern dark lme
1 lb amber dme
1oz brewers gold hop
Another oz of very low acid hop
1/4 cup maltodextrin
And used .6 crystal 200, .1 choc malt, .4 biscuit grain
And a small splash of almond extract for fun.

Now i used white labs English ale yeast, in hopes of making an esb and had expired abby ale yeast i used as well. My english was chunky so i decided to be bold and try a esb farmhouse.

Anyone think I may be turning out a bad batch?

Nope. Texas is not as bad as Alabama and some other states for beer selection, but there isn't a great selection. I'd love to try it.

BTW I had the Le Freak in Los Angeles.

L

I bought some earlier last year at an HEB in San Antonio. Texas actually has a rapidly growing beer scene, you just have to know where to go. Most of your larger HEBs will have a great beer selection, or Gabriel's liquors or Specs.

Back to the OP Belgian stout is a stlye that has emerged over the last two years or so. Also try Satan's Red. Its a Belgian red ale and quite good.

Latest posts

Back