Where have all the great deals on Cornys gone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recusit8m

Reaction score
Where have all the great deals on Cornys gone?...lol...I currently have 6 but was looking to pick up a few more and cannot seem to find the deals like we had last summer...Maybe I missed something in my abscence but Midwest and Keg Connection seemed to have like 4 for 80-100$ but not anymore...While the 32$ for one is ok but I was hoping to make a bulk buy...Any info from you guys out there? Thanks

I hear you on that one. I just ordered 1 corny keg from Sabco for $45 shipped without disconnects, that's crazy. I've looked at numerous sites and basically that's the ballpark price for 1 corny shipped. Add the disconnects and you're easily looking at $60 for 1 corny. Insane IMO. We need to set up group buys on Cornies.

I have heard that the USA supply is drying up due to China buying all of them by the 10's of thousands. Good Luck on your search.

:mug:

I have heard that the USA supply is drying up due to China buying all of them by the 10's of thousands. Good Luck on your search.

:mug:

I've heard that rumor too, but the version I heard is that soda companies are phasing out the kegs for smaller, syrup only containers.

Recusit8m, I'll look up the info for the company our club had a group buy from. We got 40 something kegs for $20+tax each. That was late last year, so I don't know what they'll have now, but they had $h!t loads. We picked them up, so shipping wasn't an issue for us, but you'll probably be paying shipping.

How many do you need? I'll look up the info and call them to see if they have it. If so, I'll pass their info on to you, and you can take it from there.

Here's a link to Homebrewing.org where you can get a lot of 4 for $80. But, they're being sold "as is" so you'll want to get some rebuild kits.

I didn't, however, check on shipping. Good luck!

Here's a link to Homebrewing.org where you can get a lot of 4 for $80. But, they're being sold "as is" so you'll want to get some rebuild kits.

I didn't, however, check on shipping. Good luck!

i got my last 4 from these guys. 4 for $80 total, $21 shipping, to my door in 5 days. total about 101 for 4. they were all in decent shape and clean. i trust these guys

I've heard that rumor too, but the version I heard is that soda companies are phasing out the kegs for smaller, syrup only containers.

That's what I've heard as well. After pepsi phased out the corny kegs a few years ago, the supply has pretty much dried up in the US. AFAIK, pepsi doesn't have any left to sell, so the homebrew distributors are selling the last of the supply.

The kegs that we're using never held soda, only the syrup

I thought cornys were typically used for premixed (soda and syrup). I remember the bag-in-a box syrup only from my time in food service in high school, but never say syrup in a reusable vessel. Cheaper to let the retail end mix their own and pitch the bag and box than return soemthing to be refilled.

Yeah, I thought it was premixed too. My food service days were in high school too, but that was way too long ago to remember. I do remember lugging the kegs from the back room to the soda fountain to replace, and if it was syrup, then it was very thin syrup. It sloshed around like by beer does when I'm lugging it around

Funny how, 20 something years later, I remember the sound that a full keg makes when I'm moving one.

The cornys I got (for $15 each, woot!) were from someone on the forum who happened upon another guy rennovating a bar. They were definitely premixed. Guy I bought them from said they were full of 7Up and the tag said they were from 1998 and still had pressure, even.

I only bought four, but now that I'm fermenting in them, I wish I had bought eight of them.

It wasnt syrup like fake maple syrup, more like real maple syrup........ not all that thick at room temperature.

It definitely wasnt soda all premixed ready to go, a keg would only be 20 Big Gulps that would go away in about an hour most days.

It wasnt syrup like fake maple syrup, more like real maple syrup........ not all that thick at room temperature.

It definitely wasnt soda all premixed ready to go, a keg would only be 20 Big Gulps that would go away in about an hour most days.
Actually, it is soda that is all premixed and ready to go. The current system gives you enough syrup in a box to produce 5 gallons (or 2.5 gallons) of soda. The kegs were just premixed 5 gallons.

Despite the rumors that Coke and Pepsi no longer use cornelius kegs there are still some premix systems out there and both companies are still using them, though on a much smaller extent than they once were. It is expensive to convert a system from premix to post mix so the places that don't sell as much soda still use the premix systems as it isn't worth the added cost of converting to postmix.

Actually, it is soda that is all premixed and ready to go. The current system gives you enough syrup in a box to produce 5 gallons (or 2.5 gallons) of soda. The kegs were just premixed 5 gallons.

Despite the rumors that Coke and Pepsi no longer use cornelius kegs there are still some premix systems out there and both companies are still using them, though on a much smaller extent than they once were. It is expensive to convert a system from premix to post mix so the places that don't sell as much soda still use the premix systems as it isn't worth the added cost of converting to postmix.

You are 100% wrong here

The kegs are/were filled with a syrup that allowed them to be dispensed with seltzer water and delivered under pressure at a ratio of 6 to 1
The 5 gallons of syrup would end up making 30 gallons of soda

I'm not pontificating here or trying to make people feel stupid, it is 100% absolute fact.

Think of it this way, how much soda do you think McDonalds goes through during the lunch rush?
They'd have to have 5 cellermen to keep up were the kegs all just soda

You are 100% wrong here

The kegs are/were filled with a syrup that allowed them to be dispensed with seltzer water and delivered under pressure at a ratio of 6 to 1
The 5 gallons of syrup would end up making 30 gallons of soda

I'm not pontificating here or trying to make people feel stupid, it is 100% absolute fact.

Think of it this way, how much soda do you think McDonalds goes through during the lunch rush?
They'd have to have 5 cellermen to keep up were the kegs all just soda
Except that it's not. I deal with these systems daily. The soda that comes from the keg is 100% drinkable as is, though a bit flat as that is handled by the carbonator on the fountain.

We now have a BIB system, if I were to take a 5-gallon bag and dump it in to a measuring bucket it would not be 5 gallons. A 5 gallon bag will fill about 35 32oz cups with a normal amount of ice in them. I have witnessed this first hand on days where we sold through a large amount of a single product.

32oz is the most commonly sold beverage size in stores, figure that there is roughly 8-10oz worth of ice in a normal cup, some people do more and some people do less of course but 8-10oz on average. This leaves about 22oz for soft drink and there is usually an ounce or two of space at the top of the cup. So figuring an average serving of 20oz (which also happens to be why the price of a 32oz fountain is the same as a 20oz bottle) you would get exactly 32 cups.

The reason these don't get changed constantly is, not everyone buys 32oz cups and there is more than one option at the fountain. We do change our most popular BIBs (Coke, Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi) just about every day.

That's what I've heard as well. After pepsi phased out the corny kegs a few years ago, the supply has pretty much dried up in the US. AFAIK, pepsi doesn't have any left to sell, so the homebrew distributors are selling the last of the supply.
Yup, Chi Company had something on their website a couple of months ago saying that they bought the very last kegs from Pepsi. That's not to say that they're not in the hands of people still willing to sell them - it's just that all the kegs that were going to be made, have been made, and are now in the hands of folks who actually want them (or want to make money selling them).

There's a local beverage guy in the SF Bay Area who's selling kegs for $25 each. He USED to have deals on bulk buys (buy 5 or more, they were $20 each) but now it's just straight $25. Add to that, the kegs were a mishmash of different types - when I opened all 6 up, EVERY one of them had different poppets, one of them needed new ones, which bumps the cost even more. That's the problem with the unrefurbed ones, they're always sold as-is.

The best keg purchasing experience I had was from Morebeer. They had their unrefurbed kegs in their "Get to know..." monthly sale back in April, for $23.95 shipped. Snagged three, all were excellent quality. Kicking myself for not getting a few more, but they do still have 'em at the regular price of $29.95 - and if you buy two or more, they're shipped free. But like most "cheap" kegs, you will need to replace the gaskets (don't buy from them or anywhere, snag your buna-n rings in bulk from McMaster...)

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18200/103708/Cornelius_Keg_-_Without_Gaskets_Replaced

Except that it's not. I deal with these systems daily. The soda that comes from the keg is 100% drinkable as is, though a bit flat as that is handled by the carbonator on the fountain.

We now have a BIB system, if I were to take a 5-gallon bag and dump it in to a measuring bucket it would not be 5 gallons. A 5 gallon bag will fill about 35 32oz cups with a normal amount of ice in them. I have witnessed this first hand on days where we sold through a large amount of a single product.

32oz is the most commonly sold beverage size in stores, figure that there is roughly 8-10oz worth of ice in a normal cup, some people do more and some people do less of course but 8-10oz on average. This leaves about 22oz for soft drink and there is usually an ounce or two of space at the top of the cup. So figuring an average serving of 20oz (which also happens to be why the price of a 32oz fountain is the same as a 20oz bottle) you would get exactly 32 cups.

The reason these don't get changed constantly is, not everyone buys 32oz cups and there is more than one option at the fountain. We do change our most popular BIBs (Coke, Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi) just about every day.

40 16oz sodas = 5 gallons
McDonalds goes through that in about 30 minutes during their lunch rushes.

You know how you know its mixed with water/carbonated en route to the fountain?
Because when one goes empty all you get is carbonated water.

some of these cornies have been repurposed for other things, just gotta look around. I've picked up several while being deployed here in Iraq(got em for free) they had been repurposed for portable eye wash stations. only cost i'll have is shipping them home with the rest of my stuff and getting some in/out fittings.

40 16oz sodas = 5 gallons
McDonalds goes through that in about 30 minutes during their lunch rushes.

You know how you know its mixed with water/carbonated en route to the fountain?
Because when one goes empty all you get is carbonated water.
A BIB system is POSTMIX... a keg system is PREMIX... I can guarantee you McDonald's is using a BIB system and mixing the water in at the fountain in their POSTMIX system. This is why I said high volume places use POSTMIX systems. They are easier to maintain/change and you can store more product.

A BIB system is POSTMIX... a keg system is PREMIX... I can guarantee you McDonald's is using a BIB system and mixing the water in at the fountain in their POSTMIX system. This is why I said high volume places use POSTMIX systems. They are easier to maintain/change and you can store more product.

Prior to BIB McDonalds etc were using kegs though

I've always gotten 30 gallons of soda off of one 5 gallon box of syrup, not 5 gallons...

Also kegs that I got had syrup in them, so they were used in a post-mix system. I think that kegs could be used for premix or postmix, whereas bags are of course only postmix.

About 3 weeks ago I bought 4 single handle kegs for $5 apiece at a swap meet. I just successfully tested one overnight after replacing the post gaskets with o-rings. I should have bought his other 3 -4. But I have 9 so that should be good.

My neighbor had their carpet cleaned and the cleaning service used a corny for spot treatment application. They modified a luggage 2 wheel cart to move it around.

kegging sucks. :mug:

Yes, yes it does. I HATE KEGGING! ! ! I'd much rather have hundreds and hundreds of bottles to fill. Spend hours and hours cleaning and sanitizing. Why, I just love bottling my 10 gallon batches of beer!

Think we should start KSC (kegging sucks club)? :D

Back