First time partial mashing with my 2 gallon cooler!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutchemist42

Reaction score
Loved the process, reading threads here helped me prepare for it and I hit the right OG that I was looking for according to BeerSmith.

Only problem was that after cooling the wort down, I noticed the dreaded green stuff on the wort chiller and realized my whole batch was ruined. :(

Won't be trying again for a few weeks but I now feel confident about the process. Will probably be another year until I look into bigger pots, coolers, and burners for a full batch done all-grain.

Unless it was massive chunks coming off the chiller, I doubt that it was enough oxidized copper to really harm you. I did the same thing once running the wort through the chiller after letting it sit with StarSan for too long, the wort had a distinct green color for a little while when it came out, thought it was hops, then discovered on here that StarSan does a wicked pitting job on copper if left for an amount of time. Bottled it anyway and didn't taste anything off about it.

Yeah I usually have "green stuff" on my chiller right at the water / wort line of the kettle. No biggie, proceed...

Back