Frigidaire Twelve fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgs

Reaction score
Some friends of ours were moving around the time I was first looking for a way to keg, and offered me an old, vintage looking Frigidaire Twelve refrigerator they had been keeping in the garage.

It's small, maybe even "apartment sized" w/ freezer on top and fridge on bottom. The thing smelled and looked pretty rough, but as I found out, 90% of what's on there is mold/mildew and wipes right off (pics soon).

So, here's what I've done so far:

-- Scrubbed top, front and sides with bleach/Oxyclean
-- Scrubbed inside with more bleach to remove all stank
-- Pulled out shelves (saved)
-- Pulled out all the rubber door gaskets (black with mold)
-- Pulled out all the door shelving and insulation inside

Basically, I've left myself with the metal skeleton & the plan is to:

1. Prime the doors with Rustoleum appliance primer and possibly tape off part of it to spray with chalkboard paint
2. Fill the now-hollow doors with either expanding spray foam, or rigid insulation, or a combination of both
3. Clean up shelving and put back in, keeping carboy measurements in mind
4. Add temp control and test

I know the fridge stays cold, so that's cool. Even if it stopped working, I was thinking about just turning it into a fermoire style chamber. Hell, it was still free!

I thought about saving all the shelving in the doors, but I think that's what was the grossest, dirtiest part of the unit and I get weird about fermenting inside of something I know is moldy. Besides, I just want to fit a few better bottles in here & possibly extra conditioning homebrew. I want to control the temp to keep it right at 60 in there, for clean fermentation of ales.

Anyway, will post some pics tonight... I know there are a million threads already like this on the board but I thought this particular model of fridge was kinda cool, so I'm excited to share!

Cheers!

PICS PICS!!!! POST EM!!!

What is an apartment sized freezer? Like a dorm fridge? Im confused. How does the compressor sound when its on? thats always been my indication of how good a fridge/freezer is.

Soak the shelves in some OxyClean overnight and Im sure they'll wipe right off.

But really, cant wait to see the photos.

I put apartment sized in quotes cause I'm not sure if I know what I'm talking about, or if that's the right term. It's like... in between a dorm fridge and a normal fridge???

I also think it's a WHIRLPOOL Twelve, not Frigidaire... I will try and get some pics tonight. The shelving and everything inside is already super clean... I'm even thinking I might skip painting the outside, but I do want to experiment with the chalkboard paint!

I tried all morning to find a similar pic on Google images but came up empty-handed... :( It's a cool fridge though!

Back