Best Place to Buy Copper Pipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stjackson

Reaction score
I'm looking to build my own wort chiller. I was going to go with 50' of 1/2" pipe (I'm not making bigger than 5-gallon batches right now, but I want to make sure I'm prepared for future expansion...) and, looking around online, it's almost cheaper to just buy one already made.

Any suggestions on where to buy copper? I haven't done a ton of looking yet, but, so far, the cheapest I have found for that much is about $100. For $110, I can just get the one that Morebeer sells.

Yeah, the price of copper is sky high right now. If it were me, I would just buy one.

I'm looking to build my own wort chiller. I was going to go with 50' of 1/2" pipe (I'm not making bigger than 5-gallon batches right now, but I want to make sure I'm prepared for future expansion...) and, looking around online, it's almost cheaper to just buy one already made.

Any suggestions on where to buy copper? I haven't done a ton of looking yet, but, so far, the cheapest I have found for that much is about $100. For $110, I can just get the one that Morebeer sells.

Are you talking about rigid 1/2" PIPE, or the bendable 1/2" tubing?

Bendable tubing, I suppose. Most of the stuff I have been looking at has been labeled for use as "refrigeration" tubing.

Yeah... the copper tubing prices are sky high. A buddy in Raleigh bought one online (50' long, 1/2" diameter) with garden hose fittings on it for cheaper than he could have built it himself.

I would encourage anyone interested in building an immersion wort chiller to check out your local metal scrap yard for refrigeration copper tubing. A few weeks ago I picked up 50' of 3/8" for $27.

c3caf9f1.jpg

Back