carboys.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingerhammer

Reaction score
I have just got hold of a couple of 19litre carboys.How do I go about doing an extract brew in them?

Are they glass? I've never heard of brewing in glass. Unless maybe you're using a "no boil" kit that just pitches water and extract and yeast into a fermenter.

What have you used before? The only difference might be how you get the raw materials into the carboy, if you're used to using a plastic bucket.

well, once you boil your wort ( either in a pot or kettle on the stove or outdoor burner) you cool it, just like you would any other batch, to pitching temp(the temp at which yeast is added) around 60 to 75 degrees. Then you transfer the cooled wort from your kettle to the carboy and then add the yeast. then cap with an air lock and put it somewhere with a constant temperature of around 60 degrees for ales and 40-50 for lagers.

DO NOT PUT HOT WORT INTO A GLASS CARBOY!

sanitize the carboy just like you would a bucket with starsan, idophor, a weak bleach solution or your sanitizer of choice.

carboys generally come in two flavors - glass and PET plastic - both have good and bad points.

not sure if troll....

Thanks,they are plastic.Think I might do a lager extract in one,and a stout in the other.Thing is all the kits ive made before are based around an end product of 23litres,these are 19.will it make any difference to the taste etc?

Latest posts

Back