what i have done thus far. ideas for next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scurvymeat

Reaction score
All of these are 5gal with 15lbs of clover honey. One week that mesquite honey.
The mesquite honey we used for just a simple mead. The others using clover we mad a triple berry (raspberries, blue berries, and strawberries) that came out like a tart red wine.

I want to use mango, does this flavor translate well? I am worried that its like peach and ferments out.
Also any favorites you all made I would love to hear! I am new

Scurvy...
Just a thought when you mentioned tart red wine and your berry melomel, and loss of peachyness--did you backsweeten at all? Tart, as in acidic? Many times the fruit wines/meads need a bit of residual sugar/backsweetening to pull the fruit back out...and the sugar usually helps balance out minor acidity issues.
As far as ideas, I have a concord pyment going right now, along with an apple juice/cinnamon tea based atomic fireball mead. Vanilla is an idea, and the there is a Cuties orange spice mead on here that looks great (recipe section I think), and it has recd good feedback.

The tart red wine flavor was amazing. It wasn't acidic. Just if someone else enjoys that style wine could easily replicate in mead/melomel.
As for the mango I have not tried it yet but when I do I will try to back sweeten. Thank you. I tried a cider with peaches and it tasted like hooch... Was worried mango may be the same way.

I want to use mango, does this flavor translate well?

I made tropical melomel with pineapple, coconuts, mango and orange blossom honey, the mango comes through and even though it was great tasting fresh ripe mango, in the end product I wished I had used less. even the minimal fermenting in secondary changed the flavor a little, made it taste almost old or stale if that makes any sense. I used 6 mangos in a 3 gallon batch that soaked for almost a month, if I make that blend again I think I may cut the amount and time in half, it actually took away from the pineapple and coconut some.

Back