Aroma/Flavor hop addition schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam01

Reaction score
I was looking at the hop utilization chart from somewhere on here. It shows:

Flavor hop utilization at 20 minutes 100%
Flavor hop utilization at 30 minutes 50% ( + 20% increase in bitterness)

Aroma hop utilization at 7 minutes 100%
Aroma hop utilization at 0 minutes 10-30%

Are there any other differences ?

Thanks.

Any idea what the source on this is? I often do 60-30-15 additions for a "less" hoppy beer and 60-30-15-10-5-1 for hoppier beers (e.g. IPA and the upcoming SMaSH Bo-Pils). This data would suggest that these hopping schedules are not making very efficient use of my hops.

My experience in the past (i.e. quoting that chart as well) met with some ... er ... "constructive" criticism of what it says. I'm not sure how scientifically accurate that it is.

Just sayin' ...

For aroma, you really need a flameout addition and/or dry hop. Maybe a 5 minute addition, but anymore and the aroma will be pretty weak.

For flavor, the last 15 minutes of the boil will give the most. A 20 minute is about the most for a decent amount of flavor from the same amount of hops, but anything more and it's looking to give less and less flavor and more and more bittering.

I think for either the biggest problem is cooling time. If you turn off the flame, throw in your "flameout" additions and then spend 30 minutes puking your guts out from drinking too much then your wort will only have cooled a couple degrees and you will have lost a lot of the flavor and most of the aroma. You need to go from boiling, to cool as possible, as fast as possible to retain the most hoppy goodness. :ban:

Latest posts

Back