Should it smell this way?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeman9412

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm brewing an English pub bitters I bought in a kit and everything went fine until I had an overflow of the airlock. It foamed up and shot all on the walls... Anyways, after cleaning it all up it was fine. There was a crusty residue in the carboy to where the foam went up but other than that it was fine. The smell when it was bubbling was a sweet, very beer smell... It smelled great! After a day of this the smell turned to a pretty bad sour smell... Should I worry?

So, don't worry about it. RDWHAHB! Some beers smell different than others....some smell like a rhino's ass and others smell like an orchard.

Yeast can put out some definitely funky nasty smells while fermenting so don't worry about it now. When the beer is all done fermenting and you go to bottle/keg is when it should smell like beer. If it smells funky and nasty then, it can be a cause for concern.

I'm just a little worried as it smelled really good the first day but it's gone down... Could it return to that original smell? When you bottle and add priming sugar can that bring it to a better smell?

when it's all carbed up and ready to drink it is likely to have a completely different other smell.

I would imagine there's some dried beer/yeast crap somewhere getting all funky on or around your fermentor, decomposing. Not necessarily a good thing, but probably not indicative of a bad batch of beer.

Latest posts

Back