disappointing Hefe into a Berliner Weisse??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edecambra

Reaction score
Hello all,

So I recently brewed a Hefe and it came out way overly phenolic and under estery. My ferm chamber was crapping out and temps got over 71 ish. Suffice it to say I am dissapointed with the outcome but am thinking about trying to sour it up by throwing some lacto in it and turning it into a berliner weisse.

My question to everyone is does my recipe have too much hops, which would inhibit the growth of lacto? You tell me it its worth it, here is my recipe for 6 gallons in the kettle:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
5.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
0.75 oz Saaz [5.80 %] (60 min) Hops 16.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast-Wheat

Do a separate souring mash, and add the runnings from that mash to the beer and let it go for a bit. You could also buy lactic acid to sour it with.

Search sour mash here, and you'll find a technique that'll work for you.

I can't imagine an overly-phenolic Berliner Weisse tasting very good. Usually they're fermented with a very neutral strain to let the wheat malt and lacto do the work. If you have some lacto around or don't mind wasting some money on a culture, go ahead and toss it in, maybe it'll turn out ok. Personally I'd just let it age a while and see if the phenolics calm down.

Back