Worried About Temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nogtp

Reaction score
I searched the forums and didn't find anything that put my worries to rest. I brewed my first batch on Thursday night, I had to leave to go back to work after I was done. 3 hours after Putting the brew into the primary I was already getting to fermentation. All day Friday as well. Today (Sat.) nothing. I keep my house at 62 when i'm away and 66 when i'm home. The primary is located next to my baseboard heat because of this. Is this too cold the reciepe does call for 68 to 72 for 3-4 days. Should I just relax and wait or should I do something to help it along.

The recipe is a yankee brewer reciepe, Number one basic pale ale.

Fermentation can be just about complete after 24-36 hours.
Take a gravity reading. It's probably done.
If so leave it a few more days and it can go to secondary.

66 is at the lower end but should be fine. What yeast did you use?

I brewed my first batch Wednesday, so congratulations to you, too.

I had my fermentor in a kitchen cabinet. I was worried about it being too cold as well since at night the house got down to around 60, though it would warm up during the day. I was worried and posted here as well.

Long story short, I ended up moving my fermenter to on top of the refrigerator, where its still not in major traffic areas and tends to stay warmer and more regulated.

Having your fermenter next to a heat source unless you are keeping it in a freezing room might make you fermenting temps too high. What was the actual temperture of your wort?
I ferment in my basement and even at a average room temperture of 62f at this time of the year, my ales ferment out within normal fermenting times. Keeping it cooler will just make you fermentation longer and your finished beer cleaner of esters.

I took a temp and gravity reading tonight the temp was 63 and a gravity of 1.022. the recipe calls for 1.010-1.012. I guess I'm gonna check it again tomorrow and see if it falls anymore then transfer it over to the secondary.

to keep it a lil' warmer throw a blanket over it, or do what i did and go down to the salvation army and get some cheap a** sweatshirts and dress your fermentors for the weather! alot cheaper than a carboy parka! good luck!

drunken clown said:
to keep it a lil' warmer throw a blanket over it, or do what i did and go down to the salvation army and get some cheap a** sweatshirts and dress your fermentors for the weather! alot cheaper than a carboy parka! good luck!

Yeah, people forget that fermentation will give off some of its own heat, so I wrap my fermenters in towels to help insulate them.:D

Back