Zero minute hop addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
When a recipe says to add hops at 0 minutes, does that mean you should be cooling your wort with your hops in it? I like using a hop bag so my normal procedure is to remove the hop bag when the boil is over and before I begin to cool. But I can't really do that if a recipe calls for hops at 0 minutes. So do I need to leave my hop bag in the kettle while I cool?

I don't use a hop bag, but I'd say yes, leave the hop bag in there while you cool.

I don't use a hop bag, but if I were you I would add the hops right at the time you turn off the heat, and leave everything in until cool. I just toss everything in loose, let it boil away, and siphon the wort off the junk in the bottom after cooling.

I do use hop bags (so much easier), and I leave all of them in the pot while it's cooling. I just take them out before I throw the wort into the bucket. Never had an issue before. :)

It's also called the "flameout" addition. It is to add aroma to the wort. I never use hopbags anymore, just drop everything in. It will all settle out eventually.

Maybe I will try without the hop bags in the future but for now it sounds like I should be leaving them in while cooling. I was taking them out after the boil because they seem to hold a ton of wort in them and I have to drain them before I take them out. I prefer to do this while hot since it involves some touching of the bag and the wort and I figured the risk of contamination was much less if I do it while hot.

I used to not use the bags but I got frustrated trying to filter the hop material out while siphoning into my carboy so I started using the bags. But maybe I need to rethink that someday.

For maximum aroma, let cool to 180f or slightly below then add, leave then in for a good 30 minutes, chill as you normally would.

wildwest450 - that will result in a different aroma profile than intended by the recipe writer.

A few weeks ago I made a PA that called for a 0 min hop addition. All I did was add the appropriate amount of hops after I took my wart off the burner and placed it in the icebath. It usually takes about 30 minutes for my wart to cool to about 70*, so this is how long those hops end up in the wart.

So yeah, essentially cooling your wart with the additional hops is all that a 0 min hop addition means.

Back