Thinking about a PM Hocus Pocus Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
I tried Magic Hat's Hocus Pocus for the first time this weekend and was really pleasantly surprised. It was a very light, crisp beer with a good flavor balance and a nice nose. The honey tones were definitely present, but not overwhelming or detrimental. I've been thinking about trying to replicate something like it, but I need input; here's what I figure so far...

For the Partial Mash,
1-2lbs. 2-row pale malt (Maris Otter maybe?)
1 lb. Rice Hulls

For the Boil,
4lbs. extra light DME (late addition for color reasons)
2lbs. orange blossom honey
1 oz. Saaz hops (not sure what the AAU's should be)
1/2 oz. Hallertau (for aroma?)
1 whirlfloc tab (fining)

Don't know if it's an ale or a lager, but from the crispness of it, I'd lean towards a lager most likely.

Maybe White Labs WLP940 Mex. Lager Yeast?

I'm fairly new to recipe formulation, so if you've had this beer and think I'm way off the mark, let me know. I don't have pro-mash yet, so I can't run this through anything (trial version is long up). At any rate, hope somebody wants to chime in...this'd be a great recipe to tweak and try I think.

Thanks, as always.

BREW ON:mug:

I'm a huge Magic Hat fan, and would love to try a Hocus Pocus clone. Their website has details for all of their brews, so you can find some help there. They mention on the site that Hocus Pocus is a wheat ale made with an English ale yeast and Centennial hops. They also offer gravity and bitterness guidelines that should help.

Good luck!

Boy was I off the mark with what I was thinking was in that brew. It didn't strike me as a wheat beer at all; kind of makes me feel like a novice again.

Back