Help please!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahallasbrew2

Reaction score
I made a batch of mead and my last gum bung was chewed by my dog so i have just the airlock with a strip of rubber around it, it fits snug the rubber is being used as a seal it seems to be ok but until i can obtain another plug or ballon it seems pretty sealed but im not to sure the nozzle of the lock is in the bottle about 2 inchs so gases can build up at yhe top will my mead be ok till i can order a new plug idk what else to do if i put a ballon on it will it be ok??? Ill have to wait till the morning to get some ballons cause were i live theres no walmart yet and all stores close at around 8 please help!!!

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this :
the nozzle of the lock is in the bottle about 2 inchs so gases can build up at yhe top will my mead be ok till i can order a new plug

But from the rest of your description, it sounds like there is a good seal between the airlock and the fermentor, so I think it will be fine until you can get a new bung.

You just need to keep dust out mostly, and allow CO2 to escape, and as long as the bottom of the airlock is in the headspace somewhere, it will work.

A picture might help, there's a sticky on how to post them if you don't have a premium membership.

I cant post a pic typical but ill explain it the best i can
If you get the airlock its a 3 piece the bottom of the lock where you put the lock into the hole of the plug is in yhe neck of the bottle so instead of having having the plug stop it from going in the carboy the lock is sitting on the mouth of the carboy with the tube part inside the neck so if you get a lock and just put it in the carboy no plug it then strip a piece of rubber around the bottom of the cylinder of the lock as a seal thats what i have atm

Latest posts

Back