Lid Blew Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis_W

Reaction score
All grain. 2 hearted IPA clone. OG - 1.060 Wyeast 1056 with a starter.

I went down into my nasty basement this morning where I ferment (not brew) and my lid had blown off. It was laying on the floor and the bucket top was fully exposed. I did not check the beer for a day or so...it could have been like that for 24 hours! I picked up the lid cleaned and sanitized it and put it back on.

Here are some pictures of what happened. And yes there is a dead mouse in the background. It's starting to get cold and mice are making there way into the basement but lots of poison does the trick. Which in all honesty there could be a drowned mouse in the bottom of my bucket but I won't know that until I rack.

Is my beer toast?

IMAG0769.jpg

IMAG0771.jpg

It should be fine as long as the mice didn't get to it- or fruit flies for that matter.

It would be screwed in my basement. Fruit flies would have given that thing a nice infection. I'd suggest using a swamp cooler. They tend to make fermentation a little less vigorous as the temps stay a bit lower.

haha... the mouse may have been passed out....Either way he's outside now.

Yea fruit flies aren't a problem in my basement especially this time of year. Mice and a couple of spiders is what I'm dealing with but I didn't see any spiders near.

If this beer does make it I should be able to come up with a pretty good name!

Back