A question concerning yeast washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have some WLP 500 that I washed recently. Everything looks really good. The question is that I have it in 7 oz Corona Bottles and each bottle has close to a half an inch of yeast in the bottom ( not trub as far as I can tell but actual yeast) Would a starter be NECESSARY with that much yeast in a normal gravity beer? I WILL make starters to check viability, but am asking out of curiosity.

Depends on how long since you harvested it, but that is probably around 150-200 billion cells. If it has been over a week or two I would make a starter, Even if it is just to get metabolism going.

Quick question. What is a 7 oz Corona Bottle? Just a regular beer bottle 1/2 the size.

Assuming the 7 oz bottle is not a typo, and there is only 1/2 inch of yeast, there is no way there is even 100 billion cells. To me it sounds like you used too much water when washing and only have maybe ~10 billion cells in one bottle. Just make a 1-2 quart starter as normal and everything will be fantastic.

If washing properly, I typically get about 1/4 to 3/8 inch in the bottom of a pint canning jar.

It sounds like you have a fair amount of trub in there considering you only recovered 7 oz.

I would definitly make a starter and then step it up from there.

Just saying.

Bull

IMAG0048.jpg

Here is a pic.

Hmm, thats kind of hard to judge. Mr. Malty gives a "mL of yeast required" value, and I usually pour the yeast into a marked flask for measuring. Any way you can estimate the mL of that? May pour water into an empty corona bottle to measure?

We'll discuss your possession of corona bottle in another thread.

In my defense, we have really good mexican restaurant that serves by the bucket lol. No idea how many ml are in there. As for testing with water, do you mean just the volume of the yeast/trub?

In my defense, we have really good mexican restaurant that serves by the bucket lol. No idea how many ml are in there. As for testing with water, do you mean just the volume of the yeast/trub?

Yeah, just pour water into an empty bottle until it is at the same level as the yeast, then measure the volume of that to find the approximate mL.

Then go to http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html, enter the necessary information, and click on the "repitch from slurry" tab to get your mL needed.

Looks like healthy white yeast to me, not much trub. And like I said before, if a white labs vial is 100 billion cells then that has to be atleast that.

i would definately make a starter for your yeast. just to perk them up and get them going. it will reduce lag time, and reduce your worries.

Back