Order grains in one bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
So I have a question about how orders usually arrive when your order online.

The first time I ordered from Brewmaster's Warehouse, I ordered several different grains to brew a 5 gallon batch. Each grain came in a separate bag identified by weight and type of grain. I had over ordered by .5 lb on each grain just in case. I then weighed out what I needed and put the rest in the freezer for future use.

When I ordered from Brewmaster's this time, they weighed out the grains as I ordered them and put all the grains in one big bag. Luckly I ordered exactly what I needed otherwise I would have no way of separating out the different grains.

Is this common? I would rather have each grain in a separate bag so I can control the amounts.

Brewmasters has their "brew builder" application. If you use that brew builder, they put all of the grain in one bag. If you order grains outside of that application, they keep them separate.

Most of the online vendors don't give you that choice, grains are always separate unless ordered as a kit.

Same with most LHBS's, they'll generally combine and crush your grains into one bag for you. I always have mine do a double crush because mine has massive grain hopper that can hold a ton of grain. I find a double crush ensures most of the grains get a good crack on them.

Austinhomebrew gives you the option of combining grains or bagging them individually. you can even do both: keep grains #1 and #2 in separate bags, and mix #3 and #4 into third bag.

I love BMW because of the BrewBuilder, which lets me tinker a recipe for days before I pull the trigger on the order. Save it as a recipe, then order the recipe, and they give you 10% off (discount code BBBYO).

I am not affiliated with BMW in any way, other than as a customer. Cheers!

Ok, good to know. I just wish I knew this ahead of time. I did get lucky that I ordered to exact specifications.

I really like their ability to order only what you want. If you need 2 oz, you can buy 2 oz and not a whole pound. I also like the Brewbuilder and the flat rate shipping. It does take a week for them to fill an order and ship. You just have to plan ahead.

I always ask them to throw all my grains (except if I have rolled oats or wheat) into one bag. I typically order three or four batches in a single order and end up with three or four bags. I weighed them a few times and they were always spot on. No regrets!

Back