Issues with my starter....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSaLTy

Reaction score
Ok whipped up a starter last night of some WPL001 and and its now been about 18 hrs and I still see no activity. I use a stirplate and have always seen activity long before this. I got the yeast at a local(ish) brewshop. Is this a bad vial or is there still hope?

"Adding a quarter teaspoon of yeast nutrient (vitamins, biotin, and dead yeast cells) to the starter wort is always advisable to ensure good growth." From John Palmer's online book.

It sounds like a bad bottle. Doesn't happen very often, but 18 hours on a stir plate should be showing activity.

Summer in the mid-west makes for dead yeast. The only times I've had deaders were during hot spells.

You could be correct. Ive had to pitch wyeast 3184 sweet mead two times on the same five gal. batch. One from the smack pack and the second from a starter but still the same activity.

Another reason to keep some US-56 on hand. I've had quicker activity with it than all of the starters I've used.

Back