Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWB1

Reaction score
Got a Brewers Best kit from a friend, was gonna cook it up today.

My question is that the kit is about a year old.. The included yeast is Safale US-05. I have never used this and wondered if it comes vacuum packed or not. Mine is loose in the package...exp date says 09/13.

Other yeast I have used was vacuum packed.

Secondly, since the grains are sealed , should they be ok?

The kits is an Imperial Pale Ale..looks pretty tatsy.

thanks in advance for answering my ******* newb questions

Since the yeast's expiration date is Sept '13,it should still be good. But rehydrate it just the same. That'll give it every chance of working as it should.

Most dry yeast are not completely vacuum packed, with no space available. They are packaged with an inert gas, so if it's sealed, and it's not past the expiration date, then you are good to go.

I've wondered if they use nitrogen in yeast packets like they do with hops to chase out the oxygen when packaging.

I did re hydrate per website instructions....24 hrs have passed, no activity. This is the first time in 3 batches I didn't pitch dry. 2 went off in approx. 12-18 hrs.

I did use BRY-97 on a batch and that took 36 hrs but then went crazy...is the US-05 a decent product...from what I have read people seem to like it. Is a 24hr lag normal for this yeast?

thanks

I wouldn't worry, I pitched my last packet of US-05 dry and it took around 48 hours to start showing airlock activity. That being said, airlock activity (or lack of) is not a good indicator of fermentation. Your yeast are most likely getting going and I bet in a day, your airlock will be bubbling away.

I thought so too....hard to be patient. This is my 4th batch in 2 weeks and I'm gettin' thirsty.

Back