First all grain beers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDFlow

Reaction score
So far I've brewed 2 extract batches, an oatmeal stout and a witbier. One partial mash, an imperial stout. I bought a kettle mash tun off craigslist for $35 and decided to do my first all grain beers yesterday, an American Pale Ale and an English Pale Ale. Brew day was about 10 hours but it payed off this morning when I woke up to 2 fermenting carboys. 3 Gallon batches.

For the English I used 2lbs of American pale 2 row and 1 pound of Marris Otter pale 2 row for the base grain.

For the American I used 3lbs of American pale 2 row.

I used the same grain bill below in addition to the base grains for both beers

.3lbs Pilsner
.3lbs Aromatic malt
.6 lbs Cara Vienne

1318 London Ale III for the English and 1056 American Ale for the American

For hops in the American I used a mix of Amarillo and Kent Goldings for bittering and Amarillo for all later additions.

And for the English I used Kent Goldings for bittering and all other additions.

English OG 1.043
American OG 1.05

The American is in my fermentation chamber at 66 degrees and the English is in a cabinet at 73 degrees and temps should stay stable this week if the weatherman is doing his job correctly.

I was really worried about the starch conversion on these. I didn't have any iodine so I just tasted the wort. It was nice and sweet. 2 days later they're both still actively fermenting with nice krausen so I guess everything in the mash went well. Can't wait to taste these!

After being unsure about my starch conversion I watched a healthy 4 day fermentation. Last night, a week after brew day I decided to check the gravity of both beers. The American is at 1.01, 5.25% abv and the English is at the same gravity for 4.25% abv. Both hydrometer samples tasted great and are in their style of flavor. Success in my first all grain beers! Considering they both had the same grain bill it's also amazing at what the difference in hops and yeast made in the flavor. My next all grains will be a fig and hazelnut porter and an oatmeal stout which was my first extract beer. Can't wait to taste the difference in an all grain oatmeal stout vs the extract. Thanks for all the help!

Back