My sightglass is going crazy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Does this happen to anyone? What can i do to fix it? It overflowed on me once.. but that was once to many..

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ksN58eJ4so4[/ame]

yeah, it only spilled out once, and it was just a little.. but still, once is too much! this has never happened before.. kinda crazy..

Wow, how do you keep the wort from pouring out of your kettle? :D

Ed was bustin' balls, cuz your video shows your kettle laying on it's side!

As far as your sight glass goes, I think it is just boiling up through the glass, I think if you were to put a valve on it and turn it off after you start boiling, it would eliminate the problem. Then you just open it at the end of the boil to see what the final volume is.

John

A cheap solution to same problem was to place SS bolt in top of sight glass tube to stop the geyser effect when kettle was under high fire condition. Bolt threads slowed the liquid down enough to keep liquid in tube, yet was loose enought to easily removed for cleaning. Started with 1/2" of threads in tube which seemed to work as air could pass and sight tube worked okay, you might need a longer bolt though if the fit is loose.

Do you have any theads on the inside of the sightglass bulkhead? If you have female threads, put a short nipple in there. A little bit of horizontal in the line discourages boil bubbles from entering. I had the same problem and a 2" nipple fixed it good as new.

Back