Is PBW a sanitizer or just a "cleanser?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wittmania

Reaction score
As of tomorrow, I will be making the jump from bottling to kegging! I'm pretty excited about it, but I want to make sure I get everything sanitized before putting any beer in the Corny.

Right now I have it filled with a strong PBW solution to get rid of any soda residue that may still be inside. In the past I have used Easy Clean powder (made by LD Carlson) to sanitize all of my brewing equipment. So far I haven't had any trouble with infected batches.

Here's my question: Is PBW a sanitizer or do I need to also sanitize everything with Easy Clean once I rinse out the PBW? I only have a small jar (8 oz) of the sanitizer powder so I don't want to dump it all into the keg if I don't need to, but I'd rather over-sanitize than ruin a batch of beer.

Thanks for your replies!

Definitely a cleaner only, you will still need to sanitize the keg. Don't forget to push some through both posts to santize dip tube, gas tube, poppet valves, etc.

Back