Yet another fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunkbo

Reaction score
OK,

It looks like each batch is going to have its own set of questions to answer. I made a Brewer's Best Robust Porter kit. I added some cara pils for body (personal preference--about 1/4 lb) and used White Labs British Ale yeast--which I boosted, very successfully, with a starter.

Put in primary, aerated, and pitched the yeast. Twelve hours later, I had very vigorous and foamy fermentation. 36 hours later, it was quiet--even when the fermenter was kicked. Is it possible that the yeast had pretty much finished in that short a time?

Thanks.

It may have finished PRIMARY fermentation . . . the really bubbly part. However, the yeast is STILL WORKING. I'd give it a few more days, then start taking gravity readings.

OK,

It looks like each batch is going to have its own set of questions to answer. I made a Brewer's Best Robust Porter kit. I added some cara pils for body (personal preference--about 1/4 lb) and used White Labs British Ale yeast--which I boosted, very successfully, with a starter.

Put in primary, aerated, and pitched the yeast. Twelve hours later, I had very vigorous and foamy fermentation. 36 hours later, it was quiet--even when the fermenter was kicked. Is it possible that the yeast had pretty much finished in that short a time?

Thanks.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with the first reading until 3 weeks had passed. That will give it time to finish and for things to settle out. With a porter a month wouldn't hurt anything. :)

Rick

Basically yes. It probably fermented a lot of the sugar Ana calmed down. However yeast will clean up a lot if your flavors over time. Leaving you with cleaner better beer :)

+1 I have not done very many batches, but yes, three of them completed the krausen phase in 36 hours.

Now comes the hard part - leaving it alone for 3 weeks. :mug:

Brew some more and stack up a pipeline.

How long should I wait until I move it to secondary?

You shouldn't need to secondary it. I only use one to keep primary fermenter open for next batch. But leave it in primary for three weeks you won't regret doing this.

This is fermenting at approximately 68 degrees. Shook the fermenter a bit today and got the airlock bubbling again. Do I need to increase the temperature?

Latest posts

Back