What will happen if I....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckbeagle

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew my second batch.

What will happen if I substitute the recommended strain of yeast with another strain? I am going to brew an German Weissbier Extract and use Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen 3068 smack pack.

Any thoughts?

redneckbeagle

Nothing bad is going to happen to it if that's what you're worried about. It will ferment out, you will bottle it and you will drink it. Changing the yeast strain will probably change the flavor profile of the beer depending upon the style, but it sounds like you'll be just fine.

What was the recommended strain and/or whats your recipe look like? I'm sure it'll be fine if its any kind of weizen style...

The only danger comes if you ally a german yeast strain with a japanese one....they tend to try and take over the world!

As long as you keep it 'within style' it'll taste just fine.

now, if you tried to use an English Dry Ale yeast instead....well it'll still be beer, but it won't be anything like a hefe or bavarian wheat...

Back