"whiskey" wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
i saw craigtube post about this... can you imagine the end result? ive heard that that turbo yeast stuff can be harssshhh but never used it. seems to be some kind of flavouring packet with sugar brewed booze. haha craigtubes own words "its kinda like, its got the alcohol flavour with a slight residue leftover from the sugar, its not a sweetness, tastes sort of like a byproduct.." then repeats a bunch "it wasnt BAD".

im sure the "anything brewed is decent" crew will reply, but man haha youve gotta be really hard up to try to make some silly thing like fake non-distilled 20% "whiskey". why not just brew a high OG barley wine and finish it off with the turboyeast.

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Prohibition_1_Gallon_Whisky.html#.UWGfvxyHNKA

also like how it's "PROHIBITION whisky" but with some drawings related to scotland

Last edited by a moderator:
haha not totally related and a bit cruel but but heres an undefendable comment from that youtube clip

"
jeremy simon 1 month ago
ok craig this is what ive done and im crossing my fingers lol ive bought a big brewers bucket filled it with 22 L of apple juice added 5 1/2 cups of sugar one and a half table
spoons of bread yeast will this work ?

CraigTube 1 month ago
I don't see why not.
"

nope, no advice i could possibly give regarding that recipe

"dear craig ive emptied out my prison toilet and filled it with some orange juice i smuggled in from the lunchroom. im going to add a crust of bread as well, this out to work right?"

haha not totally related and a bit cruel but but heres an undefendable comment from that youtube clip

"jeremy simon 1 month ago
ok craig this is what ive done and im crossing my fingers lol ive bought a big brewers bucket filled it with 22 L of apple juice added 5 1/2 cups of sugar one and a half tablespoons of bread yeast will this work ?

CraigTube 1 month ago
I don't see why not.

Hate to tell that person if they are hoping to create a high ACV 'cider/wine' from 5.8 gallons of apple juice, which typically has a SG of 1.030, sometimes up to 1.050, and then less than 1 cup sugar per gallon which will contribute close to 0.020....well it will not be any higher than perhaps 9% if everything is at the high end of the spectrum, maybe 6.5% if on the low end.

Turbo yeast does not create a flavored end product...in the prohibition whiskey kit they include a sucrose/citric packet, odds are there is a flavoring somewhere in the kit, perhaps the stabiliser packet, to give it a whiskey profile because water + sugar + yeast does not create anything tasting like whiskey.
Typically anything made with turbo yeast is meant to go one step further and be processed thru that unmentionable d-word process.

Back