First kit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazedowl

Reaction score
Started my first kit two weeks ago (click). It's sitting in the carboy and airlock activity is nil. SG was 1.048 and current gravity is 1.020. I've never done beer before so do I just add the carbing sugar when the SG stops dropping and bottle? or is there an actual gravity value I'm shooting for?

You should take two sg readings two or three days apart - see if the gravity is stable. Also, I normally leave it in primary for three weeks before bottling. Your gravity is a little high, but not that unusual for an extract.

gotcha. I'll keep taking readings over the next week. Assuming it stays the same, then I prime and bottle?

Pretty much, but I wouldn't take a lot of samples - just two samples 2 - 3 days apart. I open the fermenter as little as possible to minimize contamination risk.

Warm that beer up to the low 70's for a few days and see if the yeast don't wake up and bring the gravity down some more.

Back