Wine Storage Methods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Reaction score
I know wine should be kept at 55 - 60 degrees while it ages. That's tough to do if you don't have a good cellar or possibly a basement. Our closets don't get near this even with the central air set to lower numbers. We've got a small wine cooler but it's only good for a few bottles.

How do you guys without cellars or basements manage this?

Find a spot in your house where the temp is the most stable and very little natural or fluorescent lite and vibrations are. Try and keep the humidity around 70% also and keep the bottles layed over so the corks stay wet.

I just finished building an 8'x12' cellar under my house in the crawl space, on the north side of the house. Entry is made through the closet floor. Unfortunately, it is only 2' tall, but It is all I have. At least it is pretty clean and dry. I used some insulating board, 2" thick and 4 feet long and two feet wide, cut to wall off the area, using the sills/supports to hold them. I installed a wireless thermometer, where the "outside" is actually under the house. So far, the last month the cellar temp has been between 55-58, with outside temps ranging from 24-70f. I'm not sure yet about summer cellar temps, I'm hoping it will be below 70, or I will have to move things inside. I finally got the wine down there last night, set on bricks to keep them above any possible moisture. I am already thinking about expanding it to the North. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Back